Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using real life experiences is key.  Most people can relate to real life experiences.

Extrinsic needs to intrinsic needs of students in learning environment for retention in program and succeeding in learning.

Learning how important listening is

I have learned it is imperative to see the classroom from the student's perspective.

There are many factors that come into play to help maintain student retention. Most commonly, students fear other factors than the class itself. Being able to help students learn by understanding these factors improves retention for schools. 

understand learning needs of students, think about extrinsic needs

Being aware of a student's intrinsic and extrinic motivations will allow for a better understanding of the individual. Allowing you to make sure they are still focused on a goal which will keep them effectively engaged in the material.

The course has broaden my opinions on student needs. It is important to try and understand their difficulties and worries so that I, as the profesor, may help them aliviate or possibly even solve these problems. That said, I must also maintain my position of authority as the professor and be able to identify if giving my attention to one student is having negative effects on the class as a whole.

idenifying students support systems, personal circumstances, and fears can help me to direct and facilitate their learning as well as support them in their education. 

Learned a lot from this. Best student retention merthod is to constantly engaginf with the students to get to know them and keep them motivated. Being motivated keeps them focused in class and will have a better outcome at the end of school. 

Learn your students so you can better apply information for them.

I find that this section allowed me to understand different backgrounds and allowing the students to engage based off of those backgrounds. I see now that students can become teachers as well to help thier peers understand 

I have learned that working with adults that have life experiences and previous work history. We can use this existing knowledge and build off of that to assist in them grasping different concepts quickly. We can utilize these older adults in groups to assist with the younger students since most students can be more receptive to their peers than instructors.

I've learn how to listen to students when in need and give them feedback in a positive way and encourage them. Also, I've learned how to conduct class with age differances from over 30 to fresh out of high school. Understand that some may have a more difficult time learning the material than others. 

This course has assisted in my knowledged of the different age groups. Students in their 20s vs  middle adult learners

This course has taught me not to send students out of class to solve the problem or they will be seen as being rewarded for griping by being let out of class to handle a personal problem. Don't let the situation escalate if you sense real anger on the part of the student. Maintain a calm demeanor and try to defuse the situation as best as you can. Always have a back-up plan for getting the student out of your classroom should they lose control of their temper. 

I learned about the differnt mindsets based on age groups. Now I undersand  how to approach a 30 year old man compaired to a man freash from high shcool.

listen

I feel that understanding someone's background is always helpful when trying to bring out their best.

I think shoeing students real life connections to work place gives them more buy in to the classroom to create a stronger environment for success.

Sign In to comment