Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned how inportant it is to really get a feel of what each student needs and what there goals are, this will help me understand who might need some extra attention.

I learned that I am a major player in student retention. Getting to know the students is something that I naturally want to do and do. I didn't realize the impact it has on retention. 

I also saw more clearly that my role is to support with with encouragement and content application and to refer student to the appropriate areas for assistance with other things. Role definition.

I will put into practice to learn from the students experinces and intergrated their golds from the the course to put in practice.

In this section one learns that listening, observing, and interpersonal skills of understanding the environment, back ground, and an individiuals self perspective play an important part in the learning process.

Understanding a student's current season of life is an important resource and tool to be aware of in knowing how to best meet the current needs of your student. To know whether there are stressors in home or work life will translate into the classroom. Being an excellent instructor means taking these things in and developing a plan of study that will best fit your student while understanding what is going on in their background of life. 

Students will have different motivators for learning or enrolling.  It's important to learn what each of your students is motivated by so you know how to provide the best support.

Knowing the difference in charactistics can help you learn how to teach or help  different individuals. 

Knowing each of your students early is a powerful tool to motivate and help student succeed.  To acoomplish this early on a Survey for each student that may ask general questions, experience, reason for class, background, how get to school, do you work etc may be a starting point for the instructor to understand the dynamics of each class and allow the instrutor to make his/her adjustments on the planning and management and research if necessary for further resources for each classroom.

Understanding and learning about each individual student. Making the classroom more personal verses just showing up and teaching the material in order to meet competencies. 

I have learned that using student's real-life experiences and self-evaluating what they learned and what they would do different is a great learning opportunity.

This course has introduced to me the two terms, intrinsic and extrinsic, especially giving the example for extrinsic of going into the classroom for the first time and feeling the environment and knowing how it can also affect the learning process.  The learning environment plays a big role in the success of the learning outcome.

Student support is very important to have but it is very important to be professional and not agree to the student's complaints or add to the complaint but to give the reasoning for the dissatisfying situation.  You always have to keep in mind that you are the instructor but still have empathy.

Students, especially adult learners, want learning experiences that lead to fulfillment of their goals.  They don't appreciate busy work.  Adult learners also want to relate lived experiences to knew knowledge.  Class activities need to address this.

I learned that I have to be more flexible in my approach and understanding of students. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and has different challanges, so a "cookie cutter" approach will not work all the time. You have to be adjust to every student based on his/her needs and past experiences. 

Seth Soronnadi

I learned that it si good to; "Be a good listener but don't get sucked into the complaint with them. You are the instructor so you have to maintain your professional position."

Key will be to make students feel safe and to be heard.

I learned to relate topics to real-life situations. It will allow students to grasps concepts better and truly understand them. 

Understanding students' needs. Have a discussion with students on why they are taking the course.

This session reminded me of the importance of assessment, as a nurse this is standard protocol before forward progression. In the classroom/virtual setting utilization of preclass quiz to determine the amplitude class understanding from the assigned readings, concept activities and use simulations to guide personalized understanding in how to problem solve.

Students learn better when they are allowed to share their personal experiences. 

Sign In to comment