Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned a lot from this course but what stuck out to me was being relatable to the students. When you're relatable to the students it not only make them more comfortable but it motives them. It gives them that extra motivation to come to class, do work, and learn because they don't feel misunderstood or alone.

As an educator, we are responsible for creating an environment that allows all ages to engage and contribute to the learning process.  The classroom is a lab the we create for students to explore and learn through to move forward and succeed in their career goals.  

teaching a case and teaching a class are very different. Teaching a case is independent of who is in the room, teaching a class is catering to each student and their learning needs. 

See the classroom through the eyes of the students to create a setting that is supportive

I think it is a great idea to look at the classroom from the students point of view, and then make adjustments to peek their interest.  

This course was insightful.

This course was an excellent reminder to me of the importance of staying connected with every students life realities and needs in order to keep them motivated.

I learned the importance of the age diversity in a career program. The comparison between 18-20 yrs old and age 28 and older. The older adults are more motivated than the younger adults.

It is important to take into account a student's age and culture to aid in teaching a course that helps the student achieve their goals.

Understanding student characteristics is paramount for effective student retention methods. By delving into factors such as learning styles, motivations, and backgrounds, educators can tailor their approach to better support students' needs. Personally, I plan to utilize this knowledge by incorporating diverse teaching strategies and creating a welcome learning environment that caters to various student profiles. 

Understanding student needs while supporting learning.

It's hard to teach career skills to a room with different age groups and experience levels. 

c c
c c

I feel that is is very important to know if the student is an intrinsic or extrinsic learner. This will help teachers to know how to help student best achieve their best outcomes.

It is one thing to be an instructor and be the image of authority and the go-to for all answers. That is a tremendous feat to take on for one individual. However, it should not be so daunting. While students might have all the needs and wants, there is a finite amount an instructor can do. The most an instructor can do breaks down into two categories:

> Empathy:

An instructor can take the time to relate and recognize that behavior(s) might be sparked by events in a student’s life. For example, a student might live with other people they hardly know and the roommates are loud and disruptive. This creates a difficult situation at home for the student because they cannot study or sleep. This results in the student coming to class late, becoming irritable and doing poor lab work.

> Resources:

An instructor can be very helpful in assisting any student by recognizing the problem and solution. The solution being who next to hand the student off to so the student can get the necessary attention required to overcome their impediment to their success. Most educational institutions have people that are better equipped to address issues and focus on solutions. The best thing an instructor can do is listen and provide guidance.

I think a combination of things comes to mind. Getting to know your student's learning style as well as limitations areas they excel in. Looking at the class from their perspective and also integrating real life scenarios to help bring the subject to life. 

I learn couple things and one of those things is the different to teach young people to adult people.

This course was very informative. I learned more about how to address the issues with students and how to adapt with them while still maintaining a professionalism. Student's have a life outside of school and that needs to be respected but school still encouraged.

For me this course is helpful, however it misses in some areas. Highschool students are not all sure where they want to end up or what they want to do. the reason for them taking my class at least can be as basic as getting a credit or they didn't have another class to be slot in for that hour. It makes retention hard when a lot of the individuals have no interest in the subject matter even if will come in handy later in their lives.

From the module for Understanding Student Characteristics I learned that knowing and understanding your students is an important part of instruction. I will be able to create or modify my instruction based on the specific needs of my students. I also need to be continuously monitoring my students performance and progress as a part of this process.

I have learned the importance of viewing the learning experience through the student/learner's perspective prior to

the activity, to be able to help them be successful in completing it, as well as anticipating any difficulties they may have with it.

Sign In to comment