Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

every student is diffrent and you need to work with them the best you can to help them succeed.

Its important to take the time to learn who your students are and to help them reach their goals and be successful. 

A good point that was made is looking at your classroom or lab from the point of the student.  By doing this it will make you look at it from another point of view.  

Rules need to exist for the common good of everyone.  Should be focused on organization and safety.  Rules need to be clear, needed and to the point.  

Alot of the information is just good reminders for teachers to help students be engaged in the classroom.

Go with the flow accep that as the learning process

In  this module I learned about the importance of understanding the students intrinsic and extrinsic motivation.  It is relevant to stay connected to the student and assist them to get the help they need, especially the non-traditional student.  This will assist in avoiding the student from becoming frustrated and causing a negative environment.

Instruct with intent, support, and understanding

Students come to class with a variety of life experiences. It is important to get to know them as individuals and work with each student on setting goals to be successful in the program. I will create a learning environment designed to meet their needs and allow for group discussion and mingling.

Eliciting internal motivations and goals is key to approaching students in a way that is meaningful for them. It will also help to address issues that arise and support students through struggles that they encounter throughout the course.

I have learned that as an instructor I need to prep more than my lesson plan, syllabi etc. I need to learn more about my students.  Their past, fear and external support is a huge factor in helping them stay motivated on their career path.  I have also learned that the encouraging words I give are making a difference and will continue to provide my students with encouraging words after skill tasks.

Helpful for me and my students, this is one reason why I like to teach CTE.

From this section i have learned that it is ok for students to voice opions aslong as it doesn't escalate into a gripe session.  Meeting the needs of students is a priority and should be assesed before class begins in the set environment.

It is important to consider and to view student as a whole person not just a student. this would help instructor understand that students go throug life just like anyone else. Understanding their issues and motivation would direct instructors in the right way of encouragment . 

I understand that many facts are needed before one can determine the ability of one student to succeed on the classrom, both the teacher and the sutdent need an agreement of how his or her support can assist the student in achieving their goal and being successdul in the classroom. The techer is a facilitator and anot a babysitter in the process, and should not allow the complaints or dislikes of the student to cloud her views and to teach, she or he can help or direct the student to the resources to solve and resolve issues related to the classroom.

I have learned an immense amount of useful information in this  module. Most importantly, I have learned to look at this program through the lens of the student. By looking at it through their lenses, you can better understand how to effetively teach and reach the goals that your students have created for themselves. 

From this module I learned more about my own learning method. It is extremely helpful in identifiying the different learning and student support tactics. Prior to this module I was under the impression that I was pretty well rounded in my understanding of others learning techniques and the various way to approach them. This module broke it down another level from different prespectives. Some I hadn't considered until the completion of this module. 

I learned the importance of getting to know the students, their backgrounds, and learning styles.  It helps me to provide the type of assistance and instruction to keep them motivated and wanting to be successful in the class. 

I enjoyed understanding the intrinsic needs of students, especially adult learners.

Intrinsic Student Needs

The first list of needs is based upon why the students enrolled in the classes in the first place. These students are enrolled in your course because they want to:

• learn a skill
  • be competent in an area
  • acquire another skill set
  • perfect a skill
  • succeed and do well
  • feel involved and interact with people

From <https://www.jsou-cee.org/elc/mod/resource/view.php?id=816>

Framing student needs in terms of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is more helpful than I had ever considered. I mainly teach in the evenings, I've noticed that:

>If the basic needs aren't met (namely food and sleep) than the student suffers.
>If they don't feel safe and secure, they can't focus. I teach downtown in a busy city, so we have to make sure security is tight and watch out for each other. I've been asked more than once to walk one or a group of women students to their cars.
>If they don't connect with their classmates and myself socially, they check out or hide in the back. I use jokes. They are not good jokes. This is my charm.
>When we share projects with the whole class, they get validated by hearing compliments and good-faith critiques from classmates. Doing a round of revisions and having a piece of work come together is how you get "eureka" moments. That's the best part of this job.
>If we've dont our jobs and worked towards meeting those needs, the "Self-Actualization" phase begins, and students are driven by sincere interest and passion.

Being a former student at my location I have an understanding at the reasons for pursuing to further my education.  I can only imagine that students are here they have the same drive to better themselves as well  so it is up to me to be able to provide the knowledge and the experience so they can push themselves as well.  If they have any issues, try to resolve them or direct them to where they can their issues resolved so they don't get discouraged.

From this topic, I learned assessing student's needs and setting realistic goals are important for student retentions.

Sign In to comment