Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned to not take anything or granted and to look beyond face value. It is important to listen and observe.

In a classroom situation with a mixture of students, it is helpful to put different age groups in groups together.  Much knowledge can be shared in that situation.

I have learned that different ages will have their own insecurities when it comes to learning. Being patient, understanding and ready to teach will help those who feel a certain way. 

I have learned that it is important to learn why your students are taking the course.

I think it is great to dicuss with students what they would like to get out of the course as far as goals. Also understanding that the course may be diverse, but that shouldn't chage the learnibg process for anyone.  

Distinguishing between external and internal challenges and distractions and issues is important. Good reminder to always be compassionate, listen, offer services, but direct back to the class. 

I know most of the time being able to understand what the student is saying and or wanting we as faculty can miss the mark. Because of the time we have we either only partially hear the concern of the student or we are judgmental when providing an answer to assist the student because we have heard these concerns and or complaints before. I have advised many students and one thing I would like to change is not being stereotypical of each situation that may appear to be the same. Each situation is different even if the tone of the conversation is the same. The circumstances surrounding the students needs are different and we should treat students and individuals not as a group. I have learned sometimes its not about resolving the issue, sometimes the students just want to be heard to relieve some stress and or anxiety. I know you have to be truthful and follow through with what ever the resolution is. Too many times have I seen faculty and administration promise something to students and does not follow through. Not good... not only does this leave the students in a state of increased anxiety and possibly anger but false hope is what is being delivered. Why? It does not have to be. I think by providing reachable and achievable goals with a plan on how to reach the end results would be the better option.

I could certainly improve being more patient and empathetic towards students outside problems that affect their behavior and performance in the classroom. I've always tried before but this segment really helped me focus on listening to the student, providing a recommended course of action, and then refocusing the student on their in class performance.

It is very important to know and learn your students. This will allow you to facilitate instruction in a much better manner. 

It is important to take into consideration the backgrounds/experiences/goals as well as taking the time to see classroom settings from the students perspective in order to have the most successful learning experience possible for students. 

I learned that I am 90% on the right track after 20 years of teaching in higher ed. There's still some room for improvement and I recognize the need to address some of the needs of students to retain them. I am just not sure how much addressing of their needs I should be responsible for because this was not the behavior of professors when I was coming through undergrad of graduate school. So, times have changed dramatically evidently. I always get the students to introduce themselves at the beginning of the semester whether in-person or on-line. I feel this is an important soft skill for any college educated person to know and master before getting to the workforce.

Our semester just got underway within the last 10 days and so I asked myself this time around, "If I was a college student in 2020 what would I need to be successful?" I feel as though I now have turned a corner for my classes so students have a thorough review of the various software and processes they will need to know or think about at the beginning of the class instead of gradually throughout the class. And, I have decided to ask each student, "What's the one big understanding you received from this chapter or unit?" I have been pleasantly surprised for the last 10 days that students desire to flex their intellectual muscle at the beginning of the semester and discuss what stood out for them. Then, the very next question I ask is, "What was the one thing that confused you in this chapter or unit?" Knowing this helps me to add more relevant content to answer those questions for the next student or the next class. I am thinking since this has been so successful for students it may give them a sense of belonging or responsibility with the class. Who knows? I hope I will have more positive results after the semester ends in December 2020.

I learned that I need to establish an open line of communication with my students and allow them to come to me with thier concerns and frustraions. I need to be a good listerner and try to work with them within the guidelines of the school. 

I felt that the most important concept out of this was the understanding of the different career goals and fears. What might motivate or demotivate one student would be completely different for another. Some students might be more interested in joining teams, working together, and socializing while others are only interested in getting work done and going on about their lives.

I have a processing disorder and dyspraxia, which means that everything linear is hard,  so it was interesting to hear that this 'disability' is a hard challenge in students and made me think about why some things are so hard for me! (Like multiple choice...:) I think what I must do better is to engage more with learning up front WHO my students are so that I can properly integrate their skills and make things more relevant for them (apply my teaching more to them specifically)

Seeing the classroom from the student's point of view and learning how to really discuss things with them to get to know them better and help them in the best way possible. 

Using life experiences can often help individuals with their success. 

I feel by interaction with students during discussion, the instructor is able to learn about the student, perspective in the learning process. The instructor can then place them in groups with assignment to better boost their motivation and learning values

Making sure to understand students needs in context of learning, helps instructurs identify how and when to deliver lecutres. 

THe importance of taking into account the student's perspective, how to be part of a support system for students, and how to set limits to avoid unwanted behavior.

It is important to be intune with the needs of strudents but maintaine the role of instructor and leader. It is important to engage students and understand their unique backgrounds and what they have to offer. This chapter really motivated me to look inside myself and identify the obstacles I had to overcome and look at how I can motivate others to ensure intrinsic and extrinsic factors boost the student to be successful and not hinder them.

Sign In to comment