Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that as an instructor, I serve as a bridge between students and achievement of their goals. There are many hindrances or challenges that students may face that would have an impact on their academic performance. My role is to listen to their grievances and direct them to the best resources or means of resolving these problems. Also , I need to create the conducive environment for these students to direct their energies to be successful in class and thus translate this success to the workplace. 

Students have different needs and sometimes we are their only educational support. 

This course has given me an insight about the difference between young and mature learners. For both I understand that they can have different interests, fears, needs  and frustrations and the way they see me as an instructor. I also learn the importance of addressing and listening to their concerns (intrinsic and extrinsic needs). This course has given me an understanding on how to motivate and guide the learners why they are here in school on the first place.  

Instructors teach in groups but they also must be looked at as individuals, with different individual needs addressed

Including diverse learning starts with getting to know your students' strengths, challenges, culture and goals, learning from each other is key. 

I have learned the importance of understanding the goals of my students and the reasoning behind why they are continuing their education is important to the success of my students. Basic needs of my students also play an important part of their success. If their basic needs are not met, they may not complete the program. It is also important to listen to my students concerns, but to keep everything professional. We are there to be their instructors not their friends. 

Fom the reading I am reminded that in order to help adult learners be successful instructors should ask them about their prior experiances and future goals. It is also important to not allow frustrated learners to continue to grumbel or be negtive during the course of the class. This can turn the whole class into a grumbeling session and detract from learning. It is better to acively listen to the student and then redirect them to the class material being covered when they are upset. 

I had not thought about how to integrate students of different ages, backgrounds, and abilities into the class until this course. 

I recently thought at a partly traditional but mostly non traditional student institution. 

This course has served as a re-enforcer to how best I can be of help to my students achieve the most out of the course that I teach. Also it has reminded me about the importance of how I can relate to them each as unique individuals with differing needs from each other rather than a group that needs to pass an exam.

I like discussing career goals with students to ensure they are realistic and obtainable. It was also brought to my attention that some students do not have support systems other than school.

Students are coming from different backgrounds, ages, and experiences. Its important to connect with them, but also maintain your professionalism that way you can guide them and help them be successful throughout their program. Many students have different motivations and some of them may get distracted when situations are not favorable. It's important to get to know your students and be the neutral support person when things arise. 

In the classroom my objective is to meet the student where they are in life and to help them develop and achieve their goals. It is important to bring unity to the class through work groups, and allowing and promoting discussion to include opinions and insight. 

Since every student is unique and has a different history and culture, it is crucial to value diversity among the student population. Being able to relate is crucial.

This subject is helpful for my success with the students as it allows me to understand techniques/provides ideas on how to incorporate activities into the classroom to allow success for all students. 

Student retention is the key to success.

Its important to identify student demographics i.e., age, culture, disabilities, etc... and tailor learning to meet their needs fostering success.   

This was a great course, and I learned that motivation is the key to learning. Showing people who they are and who they can't be using Maslow's hierarchy of needs is extremely vital. Maslow loves the hierarchy of needs stated hierarchy of needs plainly. If the students are constantly worried about day-to-day problems, it makes it difficult for them to learn. As an instructor, I need to try to help them walk through these things so they can learn. Focusing on the bigger picture is what it truly is about. I tell my students that the person that I'm really interested in is the older version of themselves. I'm not looking at the state of where they are now, but will be what they will become. Mark Twain said that the two most important days in a person's life is day you are born and the day you find out why. 

I enjoy how this course talked about getting to know your student needs and also establishing small groups with different age range.

Very informative lecture! Knowing your students is important, as it shows you are aware, and awareness brings you/everyone one step closer to being successful.

I need to understand where each and every student is coming from. Look at them as individuals who all have different styles of learning. 

Sign In to comment