Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding individual needs, idividual characteristics, and individual locus of control (intrinsic/extrinsic), are essential in enhancing student experience, student support, and outcomes. There are a variety of factors that can create barriers to success. The sooner these factors / potential barriers are recognized, frustration can be mitigated; which increases the liklihood of appropriate student centered support, satisfaction, and ultimately success. 

UnderstandIing your students as adults, thier  cultural difference , respecting each as individual will help in student learning 

Teaching adults learners must include generational and cultural diiffences 

Great course

The importance of learning each students background, in return will help you to help them with the materials that are being teach in the classroom. 

How to identify the different types of students and maintain standards and control over the classroom

I learned that it is beneficial to teach to the strengths that our students have. If we are able to notice and acknolwedge those needs we can tailor our teaching in a way that will allow us to reach more of our stuends based off of the individual needs. 

It is very challenging to meet the wide variety of needs of all of our students.  They come into our classses with such diverse backgrounds and experiences that it is next to impossible to meet all of their needs adequately.  

Have more discussions in class to learn how students are taking in the material and retaining it. 

This module educated me on the imnportance of understanding the background of the students in your class.  Try to understand where they are coming from, where they are currently in their professional careers, and use that information to better your class.

Taking the students' external needs into consideration will help me to guide them in a way that helps them.

This module taught me about teaching different age groups as they often learn differnetly and are coming back to school for different reasons. Taught me what both age groups are expecting and things that are important to them.

Self awareness and awareness of the other selves in the class. Everyone has different reactions to adversity and difficulty, rising frustrations that must be dealt with in one way or another. Being self aware and showing students, by example, how to deal with frustration in a real world environment seems to be a critical part of being an instructor. Everyone is afraid of failure, even the instructor. So, show the students that despite this fear success is attainable and, even better, worth attaining.

Understanding student needs helps to facillitate learning and also builds rappor.

As an instructor, educating yourself more on each individual student's needs/desired course outcome can help you cultivate a great learning environment. Knowing how to navigate a diverse student perspectives is an important part of improving student learning. in my opinion, knowing your target audience is one of the most important aspects of teaching.

I've learned from this section tht all students learn diffrently and aplying Maslows high arnachey wil help students understandb subject matter.

I learned that understanding the students will benefit both the student and myself. I can help them and guide them. They will feel comfortable enough tp communicate with me.

good communication 

I have learned that perhaps I need to look at classroom management and student success more through the eyes of the students' wants/ needs to discern their motivation for returning to a specialized career program. I need to delve deeper into the intrinsic and extrinsic factors that may motivate students to propel them towards success. The struggle for me being a Program Director who also teaches courses is creating separation between the dean's role and the instructor's role. I need strategies in place to break the perception of the disciplinarian when I am in the classroom. At times I feel students have difficulty making that separation, especially if unprofessional behaviors have been an issue before I get the student in the classroom. 

This course was helpful to me regarding student retention. Didn't realize that as faculty it is up to us encourage and motivate adult learners to succeed. I was the type of student that motivated myself and never depended on instructors to motivate me but really opened my eyes.

Sign In to comment