Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First impression is everything! Show your students that you are interested in who they are! Set a warm and welcoming atmosphere :)

My take away from this mod was that when you teach it should have the top 3 aspects to make a real impact on your student. I intend on making sure I know the information well enough, before each class.  

It is important that in the beginning of the course that as the instructor you introduce yourself so that students can understand who you are and develop a sense of similarity with themselves. It is essential for students to understand who their instructor is that way they can open up freely to express their thoughts throughout the semester. This will allow students to alleviate any nervous energy or concerns.

Its very interesting when I think I know how to begin a course, but then find out there are so many ways to do things, the information is very valuable!

Class introductions allow for the students to get to know each other, for you as the instructor to begin to get to know them as well as for the students to learn about the instructor. It serves as an ice breaker and helps alleviate first day nervousness.

Comment on Dena Brown's post: I agree. Making that connection, either through shared academic interests or a common hobby can help students find us relatable and approachable. Anytime we can make those connections early so students feel comfortable asking questions or approaching us with concerns, it can be beneficial when we get to challenging material later in the course.

It is important to create a positive first impression on the first day of the class, break the ice, set clear expectations, and have an effective communication with students. 

The first class is very important and sets the stage for you as an instructor. It is very important for the students to see you as organized and professional.

I learned that is important to learn the student's names and to go over course objectives. It is also important to let students know a lit bit of your background and to know some information about your students to make a connection.

Learn each students name and create an environment where students feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and opinions. 

It is important to get to know your students especially knowing their names.  It is also important to allow your students to know who you are and that you are a human being not just an instructor.

Get to know their names and expectations and goals. Let them know you are a human as well. : )

It is essential to set the stage and expectations of the class, get to know the students and let the students get to know you. 

Some students have social anxiety and don't like to participate in icebreakers during roll-call.  I think that asking me a question to get to know me allows them to be more comfortable in the classroom and develop a trusting relationship as their instructor and proves that I am promoting a safe environment for students to feel comfortable in.

Greet the students, and tell them a little about myself and my experience in the field find out a little about them

Communication, awareness, familiarity, peace of mind, objectives, listen.

Always be approachable. Make sure to introduce yourself and have the students do the same

Sometimes students have a difficult name to pronounce, I like the idea of taking a headshot of students.  I can use the pictures to help me identify that person and come up with away for me to also learn to pronounce their name. (put in syllables)

Sometimes students have a difficult name to pronounce, I like the idea of taking a headshot of students.  I can use the pictures to help me identify that person and come up with away for me to also learn to pronounce their name. (put in syllables)

Be prepared to present about what you learned from the course not just the night before is a great lesson for students.

Sign In to comment