Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that you must always ensure that you go over the syllabus and discuss the course requirements within the first class period. 

It is important to set the tone for the course including learning student's names as part of showing them that the instructor cares about them and their success. Students also need to understand what is required to succeed in the course and that the learning will be useful in their career.

I made a checklist for the first day of class I can use every quarter.  This was a really great, practical lesson. 

I like how the module focuses on the student's perspective.  Is this a valuable course?  Does the instructor care?  Who are my fellow students?  Where am I going and how will I get there?  

Giving students study guides and tips for studying in your particular class/subject

Get to know the students, connect with them and have a baseline

Getting to know your students will better help you learn their learning styles and be able to relate to them on a different level

The three "M's"- Modeling, Managing, and Motivating really stuck out to me. All three are important for managingclass expectations.

Make sure that you put the class at ease so that everyone feels like they are part of something equally and not nervous for engagements.

I have learned in reading the article that you should learn your student names as it will show that you care and identify them as indivduals. Also to create cards with a list of items that you want to cover in your class that day. It also stated that it is okay if you dont cover it all 

Jackie 

I learned the importance of setting the tone the first day of class and how that can improve both how students feel about the course and their confidence in navigating it. I hope to be able to do this on my first day. 

The first impression is very important. It sets the pace and tone for the entire course. You can gain or lose your respect in the first meeting, so it is crucial to make that apparent. Engaging and learning the student's name is also very beneficial as they feel a more personalzed touch to their instruction, making them more comfortable.

Try to make everyone feel comfortable and a valuable part of the class.

It's important to get to know your students as well as for them to get to know you.

Get comfortable knowing the instructor and the other students. Remember names. 

outline expectations of course

Getting to know the student's name quickly and identify them by there name

Meeting your class for the first time. I have learned you must try and make your students comfartable as possible. Get to know your students and let the students understand you are their for them. Let the students know you are a professional in your subject area, but at the same time you are a human being and a simple person they can reach out to. Get your student to feel very positive about completing the course with good grades.

Clearly delineating the details and expectations of the course right at the start can help to alleviate nervousness in students. 

I plan to implement many of the suggested strategies; such as identifying myself and the course number on the board. Another is having the students introduce themselves as well as telling me something unique about themselves will help me to remember names and learn a little about the students. This in turn will also show my interest in them and their success.

Sign In to comment