Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Helps the student know who you are and that you are human. Also allows the instructor to know their class.

It is important to learn each students name and to know a little about them as a person

Getting to know students and developing a class room expectation from the beginning is important.

Ease first day jitters by warmly greeting your students, getting to know them by name, and clarifying proper pronunciation. 

Taking the time to learn about my students as well as allowing them to learn about me, provides an opportunity to share our backgrounds and experiences. As an instructor it can help me gage experience levels and personalities, which can then assist me in proper pairing of personnel for assignments. It also provides me with an understanding of their knowledge and understanding of the material. 

Take the time to get to know your students. 

Great ideas for a successful first day in class including ice breakers and outlining the course expectations, format and how they can succeed. 

It is important as a new instructor to introduce yourself and allows your students to introduce themselves and give that time to get to know one another.   To help form connections.  

Be organized and prepared. Share information about your expertise. Get to know your students and learn their names. 

Define my expectations for student participation!

Learn students' names. 

In this section I learned how to effectively map out the first day of class.

It is important to know your students. This will help you in finding a suitable teaching method for all of them to understand. 

Important to know the strudents' names quickly and present yourself as a professional and leader in the way that will help keep the class ortganized and subject matter on track.

It's important to get to know your student and the students get to know you.  Always let the students know what is expected og them in the classroom.  Make lists!

It is important to understand the learning style of the class, and to have them engage at a level that they are comfortable with, and that can challenge them appropriatly. 

It's important to make a good first impression, they way we should do this is by having clear expectations of the class time and breaking the ice by giving the students a little insight about myself, so they can envision my journey and motivate them on theirs. also create a bond with the students by encouraging group exercises and ice breaking techniques.

Many of the students will have already made connections with each other and I will be the stranger in the group. It is important on the first day of the class that I break the ice in a professional yet caring manner that lets the students know that I am invested in their success. In addition, with each first day, the students will be nervous and putting things like the class number on the board and doing roll call will help to get the day started on the right foot.

Wow! This module had a ton of great ideas and examples of how to manage, motivate & model on the 1sr day.  I like the idea of everybody in the class to introduce themselves with the use of name tents & a 5X7 card the instructor will collect after the students place their name, address, phone, email, career plans & hobbies.

It is important to not belabor introductions, set a time standard especially for large classes.

Sign In to comment