Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to lean each student's name and to be personable

I learned that learning the student's name can help establish the relationship between the student and instructor. Being prepared for class early and have a plan of how to engage students with their learning is imperative to help with reducing anxieties and ensure students are at ease.

Important to get to know student

Its easy to jump right to expectations and forget to humanize yourself. I enjoy first day bc I get to know everyone and try to share my enthusiasm as we have one of  the highest job satisfation rates in the allied health professions. 

Develop ideas on how to make the adult learner feel welcome, keep the mood of the room relaxed and cheerful. Give concise information on expectations and goals and use a fun method to get to know each student. 

It is important to let every studetn know that instructors care about their success. Knowing a name of a studetn makes a big difference s they feel special. 

Sharing class expectations from the very beginning and letting students know a little about me and have students share a little about themselves to make them feel welcome and comfortable.   

Provide information about yourself and your background. 

It is important to biuld rapport by introducing self. It is also to begin introductions amongst the group. It is always fun to add a little humor. 

its good to include time to allow students to learn a little bit about you and its good to have time to learn about the students

I learned about making a positive first impression.  Arrive early and fully prepared and greet each student as they enter the classroom.  Learn student's names (correct pronunciation and nicknames) quickly.

I learned the most about being prepared ealy on and implementing a variety of techniques to acclimate your students and learn about them simultaneously. I found the techniques for introducing yourself and the students to each other to be valuable, and I'll be trying them out his fall.

It is good point that the instructor needs to reflect , not only after first class but after each class. 

I intend on keeping in mind the four points brought up regarding what the students should be taking away after the first class meeting:

1. a sense of where they are going and how they will get there.

2. a feeling that other members of the class are not strangers.

3. an awareness that you care about their learning .

4. an expectation that the course will be both valuable and enjoyable. 

The first class with the new students is very important. Introducing yourself and trying to memorize every student's name will break the ice and students will feel comfortable.

Be engaging with your students and set that tone for the future. Ensure they connect with you understanding you are relateable and care about their learinng and success in the class.

In regard to meeting the class for the first time, this module ws much more than I expected. I have had many new classes in the 7 years I have been teaching, however a few new things that I learned & will be implementing, that I am not already, will be:

The very first thing:

• Making sure my first impression is the best it can be.
  • Greet each student by name the first day.
  • Look at Cohort groups to identify social dinamics of the group.

Have a to do list:

• I use these, but will take it to a much deeper detail, to help keep me on track.

Things that I am currently doing, but will revisit, & improve on:

• Intro of myself, & dive deeper into my career & experience.
  • Let them know that I am accessable.
  • Hand out syllabus.
  • Show the required text book, & discuss materials needed by the student.
  • Spend a bit more time on overviewing the course & its requirements. The road map fo rthis will be the syllabus.
  • Discuss how to study for the classes. IE: Study guides.
  • Confirm how both lecture & lab time will be spent.
  • Discuss lab schedules & expectations.
  • Discuss emergency proceedures.

In regard to motiviating students, things that I will be doing / doing better:

• Discuss the value of the course. How they will use it.
  • Discuss the expectation of their success, & how it will be of gret value in the field.
  • Show them examples of how their preformance now, will show reward later in industry.
  • Discuss how the criteria is reasonable, & is based on industry standards.

Additional items I will be considering.

• Doing the pre-test on measuring. ( not graded).
  • Try to learn students names better. It takes me time, & with a larger group coming up, this will be more difficult. Maybe a seating chart, or name cards, to start with.
  • To end the first day of class, I will strive to, make sure the student are clear with the class structure, that they hare not stranges to the rest of the class, let them know that I do care about their learning, & instailling in them that the class will be valuable, & enjoyable.

Keith Crawford , Transparancy and genuineness always put others at ease.

In this module I learned that the first day of class is a good time to set expectations, put everyone at ease, and get to know each other. I will use the first session to learn my students names, and a little about them, as well as introduce myself. The first day will also be used to give a broad overview of the course and set expectations for how class periods will go and how the whole semester will go.

Getting to know the students and their goals and expectations.

Sign In to comment