Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to get to know your students.  Learning their names is important, but learn a little more about them too.  Learn why they are entering the profession, what their background it, hobbies, ets.  

I particularly enjoyed the different best practices about setting expectations and getting to know the students. I like the idea of passing around index cards and having each student write down their preferred name and personal interests. I intend to add this best practice to my instruction in future.

Establish yourself as the instructional leader by modeling, managing, and motivating. Get to know your students. Break the ice and set the atmosphere to help balance the learning and teaching field. 

Tell the student about yourself and then have each of them tell you about them and what they are wanting to get out of your class.

instractor should introduce himself and talk about the course expectations 

the first class meeting should introdice the instructor, the class, and the expectations. 

Be at the door of the classroom/laboratory and greet students as they come in. A smile and a greeting help to send the message that you are excited about having them in your class.

A commonality in all of these modules as it relates to student success is what you contribute personally. Students rely heavily on first impressions to determine how they will relate to the instructor as well as their peers. Greeting students with a smile helps send a message that you're excited about having them in the class. Learning their names expeditiously also conveys a message that you care about them as an individual. Defining clear expectations help the students to create a pathway that will inevitably lead to success. 

On the first day greet them as they come in the door, introduce yourself, give them yoru back ground, know their names.

I learned that the students should get to know each other on the first day. Most faculty understand the importance of an icebreaker. These are used to help the studnets connect. My quetsion is, are the icebreakers used focused on the students connecting to one another or do they focus on other things- like humor? I will be sure to include icebreakers that promote student to student interaction. This will allow me to give my students the oppurtunity to learn about one another. 

It is important to introduce yourself and let them know "a little background about yourself". Always be personable.

What i take away from this module is that preparation is again very important.  It is also critical to be early, start on time, and be clear.  Class introductions can be done many ways and most students are nervous to introduce themselves, yet this is an important part of classroom management and group dynamics that ultimately benefit the class.

Make sure your pronounce each student's name correctly!  I remember an instructor that never got my name correct-after 2 years in her program!!

Learn each students name, give a brief overview of yourself, say something personal like "I like to hike " etc. 

The way you start your class can clearly set the tone and I have always felt better about an instructor when they take the time to introduce themselves, spend time getting to know their audience/ group and give a clear outline of the day and course materials they will be reviewing. 

Some great ideas for ice breakers that will also help remember names

Make yourself human to your students. Let them know your credentials, but let them know you too.

Create an information exchange to connect students to the learning process. 

It is very important to give students an overview of the class and what to expect, so everyone is on the same page going forward.

Greet your students, and learn atleast their name.

Sign In to comment