Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it's always important to introduce yourself as it sets up a sense of trust. 

I liked the order that was layed out as to how to conduct a first class. It seemed to make a lot of intuitive sense. I have never taught before and had already planned on doing some of the "get to know you" things with students but also establish myself and my experience to the students so they know who I am and what I have to offer them.

Making students feel comfortable in class makes it easier for them to absorb the information and give feedback.

Making students feel comfortable in class makes it easier for them to absorb the information and give feedback.

Students need to have a sense of where they are going and how to get there. Feel like they know their other class members, be aware that the instructor cares about their learning, and an expectation that the course will be valuable and enjoyable. 

Consider giving a brief pretest

Sharing my experiences so that I can get to know the backgrounds and experiences of my students as well

The importance of getting to know your students. It fosters discussion and also gives them an opportunity to get to know you as well. It builds rapport between you and the student.

I learned various things from this module, one being to provide study guides and study strategies. Thje reason for this is many of our students are adult learners and new to a classroom environment and therefore may need some ideas or additional help to begin a study plan. Additionally, I learned that administering a pretest to establsih a baseline is a great idea. It helps the instruct understand strengths and weaknesses and where everyone is at in their learning of that topic/subject.

I learned that I should give a short introduction about myself and background but not to go into a deep conversation about it. I also learned that by starting class punctual and having my materials ready, it will provide me with ownership of the room which tells learners that I have control of the class.

It is important to provide some information about yourself and get an understanding of who the students are. Both names and level of previous knowledge in the subject matter.

Let students know the course expectations from the start and get know your students and their preferences.

It is very important to create an envirnment of creativity and learning

It allows the students to express how they may be feeling. Ice breakers always make students much more relaxed and calm.

It is beneficial to relax and and learn each student's name.  Create an atmosphere of caring, of motivation, and  of fun/engaging.

Get to know the students name and an ungraded pretest to see where they are at in the preogress of their development. 

I learned a few good techniques about how to engage the class and some ice breakers. There is such value in taking the time to learn about your students and their interests. 

It is important that the students know a little about you, so they realize you are a human being too.  It is also very important to learn the student's names as soon as possible so they feel valued.  Pass on your enthusiasm for the content you are teaching and that will peak the interest of the subject matter you are teaching for them.

Create an ice-breaker game for students to introduce themselves and also present a clear outline of how the course is going to go

I like the idea about getting to class early to greet your students. That is a great way to "break the ice".

Sign In to comment