Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Make checklists, have a note pad with me at all times to make notes, Active learning is key, the syllabus is a roadmap for the student. Constructed well it sets the tone for the class.

I have begun to make cnecklists, I am altering my teaching method to one that will be more specific for the students.

I got the value of a syllabus as a roadmap for students and that ist sets the climate for the class. I also got that I could have faculty review my syllabus and get feeback. Teamwork

I learned that the required prep time is not just for new instructors but will be a part of the process of a successful instructor.

These are all excellent learning points and they only remind me what poor professors I had previously interacted with throughout my college career.  90% of my teachers walked through the door at approximately 9:59 for 10:00 classes. Or they had a poorly formatted syllabus that benefitted no one.  I hope, as I continue to grow, that my teaching methods are more aligned with what has been taught in this module, vice what I learned from the majority of my previous professors.

Preparation is a key component of being a professional.  Students will know when you're phoning it in, or simply haven't put the time/energy in to ensuring you are as prepared as possible to maximize the time in the classroom.

Planning and prepwork are mandatory. 

Know the objectives of the course and keep them in mind when preparing for each session.  I also post an agenda in the classroom before each class session.  It helps me to stay on track and the students can see at a glance what is being covered that day.

It may be useful to have students sign the second page of a syllabus so that they are providing written acknoledgement of the class expectations.  

Although we have field experince, there is a great deal of planning and preparation that needs to be done PRIOR to class in order for things to run efficiently and smoothly.  Also, by arriving early we can support a friendly, well modeled environment.

Keep notes of topics that need to be covered to ensure you have discussed all of which you needed to.

Being prepared means showing up early, having content, reviewing the book prior to giving to student, knowing the course content and relaying this to students via course objectives and syllabus. 

Get to class early to assess the feel of the students and to connect with them will greatly decrease their anxiety and yours as well.

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that "The learning environment sets the tone for how the students are going perceive you and the course you teach. A comfortable and inviting classroom/laboratory sets the tone for the students as they start the class."

Difference between goals and objectives

Students have perceived recently during COVID as driven by policies and less than compassionate, when really, I did not have a lot of communication from my administration, and I really did not know what to say. I want to maintain a comfortable learning environment for everyone. This module was helpful to cover and remind of strategies.

Syllabus is  contract with students therefore it is important to provide detailed information about what is needed and expected.

Being prepared, organized, and punctual sets the tone for the class.  

It is amazing how little things like fixing someone's collar sends important meta message about the instructor and perhaps the climate.

I love the idea of engaging with students 30 minutes before class and greeting them as they arrive. I do that naturally because i'm interested in them. I never realized it was also an effective tactic to easing nerves (theirs and mine)

Ensuring you have a well planned out agenda and course will save you time and make you well prepared for teaching your students.

Sign In to comment