Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Tikeama Buckingham's post:

The notebook sugestion I do find very handy. There are times students will have several issues as once. 

Keeps everything organized for furture reference.

Taking the time to know a student's name is very beneficial, as it shows the students that you are invested in them and their learning. This may be the catalyst to reach a student who feels invisible or that he is just a body in a seat.  Also, proper planning before a class prevents poor performance from you as the teacher and the student.

Plan and prepare for the class so the students recieve the best experience.

It is important to be prepared and review course objectives with the students to allow them to prepare for note-taking as well as guidelines of what they are learning.

That the students will "evaluate" you as well as the course.

This module confirmed many of the things I do naturally when I teach a ground-based class.  I find that going a little early is a good thing.  Not only does it help me get in teaching mode, but often, students will ask questions or tell me something about themselves, or what we are working on that helps me get a better sense of where they are with the work I have asked them to do.

Online instruction is not like this.  I find it more challenging to create that bond with students that allows them to feel comfortable asking questions and talking.  So, for me, the challenge is still about creating community in online learning.

The importance of syllabi, objectives and course outlines for students. 

I will als now take a more novel approach to the use of textbooks in/for my classes. 

Fianlly, the importance of (effective) goal setting. 

Be prepared and thoughtful about the material you are presenting.

Reply to Tikeama Buckingham's post:

It's also good to carry a notepad to record any supplies you might need. I jot down a lot of short hand notes on my notepads. 

Acknowlegement and reflection with the students should be a major part of their learning engagement.

By planning ahead and being prepared for the classroom enviroment,you not only are showing the students what you expect but what will be expected out in the real world when they finish school. So giving or showing this to the students everyday you are setting them up for success, and making your life and there life easie.

The syllabus needs to be detailed; it is a kind of contract between myself and the students. Using a checklist is the most helpful thing an instructor can do to help ease the first-class nerves. I also learn that instructional objectives should include four components A-D.

I really liked the aspect of arriving early in order to interact with the students. As was mentioned, this is a great way to get over nerves. 

I agree that it is very important to arrive earily and interact with the students, it puts you and them on the same team. I am also a serial syllabus lover. It leaves no ambiguity for course landscape and expectation and is a contract between the instructor and the students and it helps keep both on task together. 

this module has defined the importance of the syllabus and how it can be used to assist students and instructors alike. 

The take away from this module is that planning and preparation are time consuming but rewarding activities which must take place ahead of the actual bloc of instruction.

Creating a plan, hold self and students responsible to syllabus, offering adequate support and resource materials will lead to success.

Some takeaways for me that will be extremely helpful are some of the different teaching strategies, necessary components of instructional objectives, and using checklists to keep organized and on track. 

I get that by my preparation for class, I will be the competent and accessible instructor for my students. Checklists are my favorite go to to keep up my own accountability.

Engage with students as they enter the classroom. A connection with students is important. 

Sign In to comment