Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Employees Motivation

How would you motivate an employee, when after speaking to that individual informs you how they like to be motivated, but does not respond to the type of motivation when applied?

Weekly Meetings

I am required to attend weekly meeting for my position currently. I sometimes find myself asking, is this really needed. Most of the information can be circulated via email and we are such a small department, that we talk with each other daily. I have learned from this course that it would be beneficial to send out information prior to the meeting so that we can come prepared to discuss issues. Currently, we bring up the point of discussion and then we are assigned to come next week with a solution or update. I feel our time can be used… >>>

Project Managment

Wow, I was really enlightened with the details of this module. It was very informative. Understanding the levels of the project can be overwhelming. Transforming an conception into a reality where it can be measured consists of the steps of planning, scheduling any other activities in order for the project to be a success. Makes sense now!!

Employees who are burned out

What or how do we motivate employees who are burned out and never apply for promotional opportunities?

Project managemet

Without question all four phases are contingent to one another, however, I would heavily target my focus on preparation/planning. As all phases are important; having a well-designed plan allows smoother transition to the next phase.

Moving up the ladder

As a new manger I have been approched by a team member looking for a promotion. I have talked to him about developing a plan to move in that direction he has only been with the company a year and we have had conversations about his preformnce and time managment. As of latley I have taken extra duties off his plate so he could balance his work load better. He is a team player with alot of potential but really needs to continue to grow and develop. What is the best way to express this with out demotivating him?

SU101

Very well put together and very helpfull in refressing the mind on howe we manage.

Active Listening

One of my biggest problems in meetings is to regulate myself. I often find that when I run a meeting I can be a bit overbearing. active listening is a skill that I try to practice as much as possible during meetings in order to avoid just me dominating the discussion.

Leading and Motivating

Our company is not issuing raises this year, so I am finding it difficult to keep my Program Directors and faculty motivated. I recognize hard work and praise them often. What other ways can I keep them motivated so our students don't feel it in the classrooms?

Motivating Problem Employees

I found myself enjoying this course especially when I feel that I have most of the leadership and management skills. Except, dealing with problem employee. I have been working on this lack of skill for awhile. I will start using the three-step approach mentioned in the course to help me. Any other suggestions?

Groupthink

How do you recognize/combat groupthink before it becomes ingrained in the team. My team is very small (2) and I'm afraid it may be affecting us

What's good

We regularly end our meetings with what's good this week. It often leads some to go on for some time - oftern about personal matters, and others just pass. Do you think this a best practice?

Team Particapation

I currently have a member of my team who is pretty self-centered in his thinking and getting him to be a team player and help others has been difficult. I attempted to increase his responsibilities, hoping that it would help create a greater sense of responsibility and teamwork on his part but it did not last long. I have coached for improvement and have only found short-lived success. I feel the failure is mine for being ineffective at finding his motivating force. Any thoughts?

Project Management Role

I have yet to handle a project on my own. Though I understand most of the aspects for managing a project, I still have my reservations. Are there any books out there that might make me feel a bit more comfortable with the entire process, or is it more of a trial by fire?

My best boss

The best supervisor I ever had demonstrated a very high level of self awareness. She was extremely sensitive to the impact of her mood, words, and tone on every member of her very large team. In addition, she was able to step away from a major stressor for a brief period of time in order to make sure that her response did not create additional stress for the team. I am curious about others' experience with managers who are highly self aware and emotionally intelligent. Are these traits growing in value in today's competitive workplace?

In-effective Meetings

Meetings are an effective of communicating important/sensitive decisions. They are useful in decision making and resolving issues, but if not appropriately planned can be a waste of useful time and resources. In my experience many meetings that are called by Senior managers are irrelevant. WebEx and videoconferencing by using a power point and reading word by word is a waste of time of everybody. Meeting for the sake of meeting does not serve any purpose. Meetings called to justify certain person's role and position are also ineffective. This topic did not touch on an important point, which is how many… >>>

Bumping heads

In the beginning I've seen new comers waltz in team meetings with the perception that this new team works the same as the previous team. Then there is conflict and a sense of intimidation and insecurity. I've seen this is all of my jobs. I like to assess my surroundings and watch and listen to my new team and only then can I see how they work and who is the ring leader. I don't play devils advocate, but I do make my presence known and stand strong behind my opinion. However, I'm also a good listener. This is perhaps… >>>

Team Management

I feel that this course helps me a lot with working in my department where we have a 88% of new members and this helps in identifying individuals strenghts when dealing with management style. My goals is utilizing the most effective managing style to fit the needs of my team.

Team building activities, What is your experience

What are some team building activities that others use? I supervise over 17 individuals, mostly adjunct faculty, and really try to engage the individuals as a team. I really value their comments, information and feedback. I do have a few individuals that haven’t engaged with the team. What do others do when there are those individuals that don’t take the time to get immersed with the team environment? I have listed two different activities I do for my team to engage them and give them opportunities to grow. When I schedule meetings, I make them valuable to improve on their… >>>

angry team member

I have a team member who never is in agreement with team leader or other members. Would you take him off the team? I have talked to him many times and it doesn't help. Suggestions? Audra