Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

holding space

What are some examples of creating a holding space? Logistically where are they located? Is creating a loose agenda prior to a good idea to have some structure?

I have only done this one on one with my team members, never as a group, so I use my office. I'm interested in learning what others are doing to effectively create a holding space for a team.

I like this concept and I would like to learn more on how to implement a holding space that does not turn into a complaining space which could encourage others to list all that is wrong about the initiative.

Linda,
much of it will come down to how the meeting is facilitated. Part of what I would suggest is establishing ground rules right off the bat by stating that this will not be a space for negativity but construction & help.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think a neutral space is important, in addition to setting ground rules. If an employee is brought into their supervisor's office for a meeting, it can make the employee nervous and on-edge, and perhaps defensive - reminiscent of being called into the principal's office. Having a meeting in a conference room or other meeting space might make the employee feel more safe and comfortable.

Jessica,
yes, this is exactly the idea. Make sure it's a neutral space & does not indicate power or position for either party.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have daily huddles with my team in a neutral space. This has become our informal space where we discuss students in school daily. Topics beyond that are for other more fomal meetings. This is our "holding space" to solve student issues.

Mark,
this is a great idea & provides that opportunity for each faculty member each day.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Weekly staff meetings provide a forum for exchange and dialogue. Another format I use is to suggest taking a walk. Changing the environment, not necessarily sitting eye to eye encourages more open conversation and an opportunity to coach and motivate.

Eva,
this is a great idea & I would suggest possibly removing the table (if there is one). Often the table can be a barrier & if you're looking for an open dialogue this can help the free flow.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Our holding space is in a private staff/faculty room that is at the end of a hallway so there is no foot traffic outside. Here all issues and problem solving ideas can be discussed with little to no interruption. This is also a comfortable environment for everyone involved, where everyone can speak freely and be heard.

Sign In to comment