Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Groupthink

How do you recognize/combat groupthink before it becomes ingrained in the team. My team is very small (2) and I'm afraid it may be affecting us

Michael,
Groupthink is when your whole team always agree. Your group is so small that you can easily probe with each team member. They should be able to support their ideas and opinions individually. Using this technique, you will notice that team members will be more likely to present their own ideas and with good supporting information. Even when they do agree...they will be able to acticulate independent support information.

Ron Obstfeld

I believe that one way to combat groupthink is to have a good handle on the group members feelings on goals. Goal oriented individuals will work to meet the goal and look draw attention to them selves I think leads to exploring all possibilities since this leads to success.

Michael,
You should also consider that even if the group is working on a common goal,this might be the result of groupthink or group pressure. You may need to probe with the individual team members to ensure there conclusions are based upon a consensus.

Ron Obstfeld

Hello,

I think that you can combat group think by allowing each member to state their opinion or suggestions. If people feel afraid, they will not share or speak. Also, since your team is small. You want to ensure that there is no favoritism, if one person feels like you will always choose the ideas of the person you favor, this will cause problems.

Alicia ,
Good ideas. I would suggest that the leader solicit ideas from those that are usually quiet first. This makes people feel that their ideas are valued. It also preempts the more vocal members from influencing opinions at the beginning of a discussion.

Ron Obstfeld

Hello Ron,

I agree. Having each member give their 2 cents ( Like we say in the islands) definitely makes everyone feel a part of the discussion or team. When people feel that they cannot participate or provide feedback they will get intimidated and hold their opinion.

Hello,

I agree. Having all of the group's feeling and goals is Important to make any decision or to draw a conclusion. having part of the Important will not be successful.

I feel the modified delphi technique is a good way to reduce groupthink. Having anonymous votes or input can prevent individuals from going along with the crowd.

Louis,
This techniques is one of many techniques you can use. For personal growth and for the health of the team, this technique should not be used all the time. Team members need to be able to defend their position and should be held accountable for their decisions. If you are anonymous this can not be accomplished.

Ron Obstfeld

I found the best way to avoid group thin is active listening and being a devil’s advocate. Even if I agree or think the original idea is great, I try to think with a different perspective or possible short-comings. I follow this up with possible information or ideas on how to improve and/or avoid possible short-comings.

Being the nemesis of group thinking is not a very popular spot to be in, but is a matter of life and death for work teams. There's a natural attraction to gravitate towards people who agree with or think similarly to you. Breaking this pattern is not easy, but it must be done in order to safeguard the integrity and purpose of the work teams. I, personally, attempt to avoid this tendency at all costs when I'm not the group leader and to dissolve it when I'm the group leader. You must keep your eyes wide open for this regardless of the position you hold.

Based on the course Groupthink was labeled as bad. But when can it be good? A small like minded group when assigned to perform as certain task, I think it might be a good thing. Look at bees... GROUPTHINKERS!

As a result of this course, I have a greater understanding of how teams are affected. Groupthink can be ineffective at times and effective other times. Also, I have a greater appreciation of those that are in the role of devils advocate. Great course.

Tonetia,
Thank you for your feedback. Good luck.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment