Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Weekly Meetings

I am required to attend weekly meeting for my position currently. I sometimes find myself asking, is this really needed. Most of the information can be circulated via email and we are such a small department, that we talk with each other daily. I have learned from this course that it would be beneficial to send out information prior to the meeting so that we can come prepared to discuss issues. Currently, we bring up the point of discussion and then we are assigned to come next week with a solution or update. I feel our time can be used more wisely if we had material prior to the meeting,do you have any other ideas to make weekly meetings more beneficial to attend?

STEVE,
I never have been a fan of meeting just for meeting sake. Meetings need a purpose and a mission so everyone who needs to know is present. Prior to meetings the agenda should be set and sent out, agenda items should be clear with expectations, high priority items need to be early on the agenda, start meeting always on time, keep meetings within time limits that keep your staff alert and not tuned out and work to always finish on time.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I am not a big fan of meetings either. I work in an office of about 20-25 personnel doing 10-15 different jobs. It would be nice to find out when someone is working the same project or has worked prior on a project similar to something I am currently working on. Email is a good technique to send out information you have, but it is not the best for gathering information. I just may be stuck in my old ways, but face to face contact seems to get better results as long as you have an agenda and stick to the time schedule.

Harold,
Meetings are as old as time. The good ones are the ones where the leader has an agenda with expectations for having the meeting. It is important for people know what the expectations are and how they can stick to the task at hand. No surprises unless they are positive. Keep meetings to decent timelines. Attentaion span consideration is important..

Dr. Gary Carlson

I ahve to agree luckly my manager realized the same thing and now we have combined meetings every other week this allows management to have more time to work on dialy activities and our team is more productive on these every other weekly meetings.

Martha ,
Time management and appreciation for others time is always a great trait for employees to see in their leader.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I feel that having a regularly scheduled meeting for all employees is an important way to not only communicate the issues that are important to management and the company but for the employees attending to have a chance to discuss their thoughts as well. Working in a school with classes taught in the morning and the evening this is an excellent opportunity for all staff and instructors to come together at one time.

As a leader I always have an agenda prepared and items remain on the agenda until they have been completed. During the meetings we discuss who is heading up a particular project and their progress is shared. Once the project is completed that accomplishment is announced, this lets everyone know the outcome and the employees responsible are recognized.

While emails are an important and effective way to communicate between meetings; the coming together as a group to go through goals, achievements and agenda items is an important tool.

In response to Steve's initial post; I find a weekly meeting to be a very integral part of a successful company. The ability of the staff to get together and collaborate ideas and concerns helps promote new perspectives and prevents problems from snow balling into larger problems. Staff meetings give employees a chance to give others ideas, suggestions or a different perspective for improvement. Great ideas come from other employees in different departments because they have a different outlook on the company. Secondly, I believe staff meetings are great way to build team comradery with employees because staff meetings give a chance for employees to interact, express themselves and interact with other employees who they may or may not work with on a daily basis.

I agree that meetings are an integral part or an important communication link for the success of any department or company but can often be mishandled resutling in poor use of time.  Dispursing agendas prior to the meeting is a wonderful way to prepare the attendees and trigger possible questions that would enhance and create a more productive meeting. It is important that the meetings is on task utilizing the agenda as a guideline to prevent getting off course.  There is nothing worse then sitting in on a meeting with no purpose.  Meetings are also a way for everyone to come together to build comradery.  Often we are isolated in our offices and unable to connect with others.  This allows us to take down those walls and create better connections within the company. 

Sign In to comment