Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Promoted before Veteran Faculty, Challenges of Compliance

I am one of those stories of an instructor who "fell" into teaching by chance. I started out as an on-call substitute and less than 6 months later I'm the Academic Coordinator of all programs at a private college, bypassing Head Instructor. I was able to attain the position due to my understanding and interpretation of accreditation standards. Having previous regulatory experience between Biopharmaceutical and FDA regulations, I was able to apply those skills in an academic setting. Unfortunately, I'm receiving resentment from veteran faculty. This course is helping me develop appropriate managerial skills in dealing with my relatively new… >>>

Signs of Ineffective Leadership

I learned a lot from studying this particular section. There were certain areas which stung a bit. I caught myself re-evaluating and often looking in the mirror. Sometimes we think we are excelling or surpassing in most arenas. However, it is great to have frequent self evaluations or provide feedback tools to our team in order to measure the temperature of our true effectiveness. I particularly like the Team Audit and Team Effectiveness Worksheets to assess many areas of team vision and goals all the way to team leadership. Implementation of these tools can help to identify the following symptoms:… >>>

Improving Team Communicaton

Many times we hear that communication is one of the biggest issues within any corporation at various levels of management. It is important that those individuals in position of higher management realize the effect that a wall of collapsed communication can have within the company. Many times it like a rumor, by the time it makes it to its destination so much has changed about it that you really don't know what to say or do.

Difficult Student in our Career Institute

I have this Student who is influencing my other students negatively. She is always tardy and whenever she is corrected privately she will yell at anybody that corrects her. She has problems with everybody in her class and all the teachers. The School has helped her financially to pay her rent. She comes to ask for more money and when we are unable to help she will find a way to disrupt the class. We have used both internal and external factors to motivate her but have been unsuccessful. Whenever she is absent she does not return our calls.

making students understand vocabulary

Sometimes I have trouble with students vocabulary --Any suggestions.

Too many meetings?

When does it become apparent that there are too many meetings?

Motivating An Employee

How would I motivate an employee to be consistent in complying policies and procedures? He follows for a short period of time and then needs to be reminded to get back on track. This has become a recurring cycle.

Support during transition

Our campus has been going through a stage of transition. During a recent meeting we acknowledged that we need to reach out more to one another and lend support to fellow employees during this time. Several weeks have past since the meeting and it seems we have gone back to working on our individual tasks without the time or ability to reach out to others. Does anyone have any ideas or practices to create support for the "team" even during times of heavy work load?

Being a good manager

After reading the material involved in the course, I agree with the challenges that may occur for managers. Being hired in as a new manager when various individuals in house applied for the same position can be challenging; however, knowing yourself and preparing the be supportive of the team is crucial for success.

Managing Difficult Employees

How should I deal with employees who are overall enthusiastic, and motivated, but make reoccurring mistakes without making them feel as though they are being attacked? We have tried re-training several times but have not been able to get consistent, lasting results for simple procedural errors.

Leading and Motivating

The best motivation for any team is leading by example. Don't ever expect your team to do anything that you're not willing to do yourself. The team is dependant on the leaders expertise and their strength to lead the team.

Going from co-worker, to friends, then to Manager

I started at my work almost 4 years ago and have slowly moved up. I am now in a manager position and one of the things that concerns me is the level of seriousness that some employees might have with me. They all know what my position is but when it really comes down to a situation will they be able to take it as a work situation or will they take it personally? Is there any certain ways that one should handle things like this?

ways to motivate employees

what are some suggestions on how to motivate staff after lay-off's occur?

holding space

What are some examples of creating a holding space? Logistically where are they located? Is creating a loose agenda prior to a good idea to have some structure?

emotional intelligence

What does it mean and how do you use it to drive performance?

Leaderhsip principles

What leadership principles do you find most important in following the vision of your company?

employees sharing

Have you ever encountered a problem with the culture of an organization wanting to keep things the way they are? How did you respond?

management style

What is situational management and when is it effective?

Leadership in Life

It's funny how so many people do not believe that they have leadership abilities but are a leader everyday. There are so many leadership skills that I employ at work that I also use in my personal life. From being a parent to a teacher, you still use the same skill set. This is another way that we can build confidence in our staff and students in growing in their leadership capabilities. Showing them that the same type of leadership skills they apply outside the workplace, can also be utilized and honed inside the workplace.

Success in project management

The best laid plans can be destroyed by inept workers. A vital success tool is the hiring of people with integrity and accountability to carry out the plans.