Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Success in project management

The best laid plans can be destroyed by inept workers. A vital success tool is the hiring of people with integrity and accountability to carry out the plans.

Sandra,

Thanks for the excellent reminder. So, I'm curious what approach you take to hiring the best workers?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Success in project management requires strategic planning. Assigning tasks to people who have integrity is always a plus.

Carlos,

Excellent point about the importance of strategic planning. In addition to assigning tasks to people with integrity what would you consider the essential aspects of strategic planning as it relates to project management?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Lots of people have ideas, some are good some are not so good. As a project manager you need to be able to not only look at the idea up front but you need to be able to see an end result. This is when you use strategic planning. You need to write out a step by step planning from start to finish and decide if you can fit all the task into it. I would then put it on a flow chart or sync chart, because a picture is worth a thousand words and everyone can track the progress of the project.

Harold,

Thanks and excellent point about the importance of seeing the end result. Part of the challenge besides putting it into a flow chart is not only having a compelling picture but knowing the steps to get there.

Dr. Eric Goodman

Sandra, I agree that integrity and accountability are vital to the health of any project or work culture. I do think that management has to lead by example--accountability is universal.

I think a greater vital success tool is ensuring you have a competent manager running the project. If the manager is a strong leader with good principles and character then he/she can couch and mentor the members and if needed bridge the gap between members disagreements. The manger can also set the tempo, tone and standards in such a way it calls the members up to perform at a higher level especially when it comes to integrity and accountability.

Paul,

Great points about the importance of a competent manager! Are the specific things you've seen that are best practices when it comes to maintaining accountability?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Sign In to comment