Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Bolonga can undermine logical learning

I teach at an automotive technical training institution where we have few self starters or self motivators. I’m all for tools that aid in the spread of knowledge and not afraid that they will put me out of a job. I’m a baby boomer, and a little slower at adapting to and accepting new technologies. I’ve found there is a lot of false information or bologna on the internet. Bologna can undermine logical learning. That’s my opinion. I look at my job as that of a guide, one that helps my students on the start their journey thru the pasture… >>>

Artworks and Photographs

Being the generation Y is more of the visual learner and needs to compare to another learning model. I feel it is imperative to have a variety of tools to illustrate a point.

Relevance

Of the 5 Questions for discussion development, I feel relevance is most important to adult learners. From teaching primarily adults, wasting their time with fluff is not received well.

Supplemental Reading

Important to add related material for those students that want to research further on that subject or use other resources for projects or presentations

Where to find the rights for info usage?

Where would you go to find out the copyright and infringement laws and how to contact such people to aquire the use of such information?

Getting to know the student = greater rewards for everyone

I believe that if we get to "know" our students in the online/virtual environment - we interact with them in a chat room, in discussion board,even a personal contact at the beginning of the session - that adds so much more to the overall experience - and not just for the students, but for us as facilitators and instructors as well. I teach because I enjoy the experience - as I'm sure most others do - and I want to be able to interact with my students to the point of having that "connection" with them - even if they… >>>

Online environment and ability to maintain academic integrity

I believe that there is a great deal of concern from those outside the distance learning environment - thinking that the online environment may not be able to provide that same level of academic integrity. I think that is a false thought and perhaps a scatoma on the part of instructors/facilitators. What online or distance learning challenges us to do in regards to the classroom and providing integrity - is that WE have to provide the "service" to students - it will just look a little different than it does in the classroom. Toni

Reservations

Being an adult learner, I have concerns of being a student that would be successful learning on-line. I am attempted to step out of the box, technology dictates staying ahead of new methods of learning.

Course structure

I agree the course structure, syllabus,information sheet needs to be as complete, as interesting. as exciting as possible. The more I can promote the excitment the more participation I can get. We all know that things flow, questions get asked, with the more participents we get. There isn't much laps time with a full class.

on line question and answers

you know how we always say there are no dumb questions and I believe this is absolutely sure there isn't. But I'm sure we have seen at one time or another some one make a face or jesture. with online questions I don't have to let on I'm as bumd as some people think I am and I can ask any question I want to I won't even feel bad about asking it. Of course there is always a chance some one I know is taking the same class.

Getting students to participate in helping one another.

I wish I could claim this as my own, but I cannot. I want to share with you all a wonderful technique I learned from a teacher I had during graduate school. Her name was Shauna Schullo, and she passed away last year at a tragically young age from breast cancer. So whenever I explain this technique to my students. I always tell them about her and how she made me a better online instructor. The technique is called "Ask the Guru." Basically it is an extra discussion board forum that I set up in every class. I inform the… >>>

Course creation

I have found that, for me, creating a course that appeals to students as well as helping them learn is really an ongoing process. I create a base file that I believe will work, and every session I add to it, or take things out that didn't work. I have also felt that, for a creative based classroom, giving live feedback on the previous "rock stars" in the group during a Live Chat helps foster discussion and tremendously boosts the drive of all students, because soon EVERYONE wants to show off their own skills and be critiqued.

The joys of office hours

My biggest hurdle for creating office hours with my students is the fact that, with 18 students all living in different parts of the country, it can be a bit of a problem finding the "right" time to best accomodate as many of the students as possible. So what has ended up happening, is I get calls late on Saturday night with questions. Sigh.

The problem with SOME guest speakers

I am fortunate in the sense that I teach video game development. Fortunate that I work in an industry that is fun and interesting for the students (well ok... for me too). But the time I tried a guest lecturer ran into a bit of a snag for me. The friend that I had log in happened to be the "hero" of the gaming world for some of the students and it was very tough for me to hold them back from sounding like Chris Farley on SNL asking them things like: "Hey ... remember that game ? Yeah that was cool"

Using SKYPE or iChat Video for Online Learning

It was assumed that "face to face" might not be part of the online learning format. Not anymore! I believe any class can easily facilitate video conferencing with today's streaming capabilities. Synchronized chat can be achieved through a variety of web based programs, and the online class environment could conceivably be almost identical to the "on the ground instructor led learning." Soon we'll all be able to put on 'goggles' and be virtually placed into the online classroom.... which will save a whole lot of gas and parking fees!

On-line Research

In addition to teaching structured course content on-line, unstructured content and collaborative interaction are academic changes that need to be ingegrated into the educational architecture. There are a wealth of opportunities like bringing together research interests through networking contacts that can help launch ideas.

Online Look & Feel

Really the question is how close to the real world eduction envirnment can the online envirnment duplicate. Any thoughts.

ADDIE Model

Incorporated into this module was the ADDIE Model without the implementation stage... why? Isn't that just as important as the other stages of this model?

Online Assessments

I am currently going through my doctoral degree program and have two classes left. My interest is in curriculum design as well as, creating online assessments for both student and instructor. It is easy to create assessments for on-ground but could use some ideas for the online environment. Terry

evaluation

Being at home or away from a watching eye,the online evaluation seems couldn't evaluate precisely the leaning. Students could easily use different refrences to get help to answer the questions.