Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Instructural Integrity

An instructor must respond to students in a timely matter to gain trust from their students. This entails, but is not limited to, responding to student emails within 24 hours and grading all assignments within 48 hours. Instructors must exhibit a high level of integrity and responsiveness to gain trust from their students.

FACE Time

Has any on used the Apple program face time with students that can not make it to class? I used it the other week for a student who was out with pink eye. It was like she didn't even missed class.

Multiple instructors and one currculum

The course I teach has 4 instructors currently. We continue to tweak the material together, but have never entered into a significan re-design. I wonder what this looks like as a collaborative process.

Quizes

I like the idea of using our quizzes to build learning and unlimited tries. It makes me wonder if we should build more quizzes into our CD 2600 class.

PowerPoint

I'm wondering if in addition to flat PPT presentations if we should add audo.

Sychronous chat

We don't use synchronous chat in the course I teach. It made me wonder if me along with others who were instructors of this course divided up time slots if we could get any benefit from this, even though we would be interacting with each other's student's due to scheduling conflicts.

Learning Activities

When designing courses it is important to ensure that learning activities support the type of learning that is to occur. For example, a traditional class was learning about motivating the workforce. I make three puzzles of equal shape and with equal sized/shape pieces. One puzzle was Maslow's theory, one was Psychological Contract and one was How to Deal with Difficult people. Divide the group up into equal teams (4 - 5 members; 3 teams), mix up the pieces and give each team equal number of pieces. Tell them that they have to form the three puzzles (give them the topic… >>>

quality online courses

Many LMS are available. What ones do you all recommend that lend to ease of use for students? Susan

learning outcomes

I agree with the fact that it is more important to manage the outcome results, rather then how they got there

Using Turn-It-In to reduce Cheating/Plagiarism

I have found the utilization of Turn-It-In to greatly reduce the ability for students to cheat on assignment and research papers. It also assists in catching students who copy and paste material from the internet and plagiarize. One neat feature that Turn-It-In does is upon submitting an assignment it reviewes to see not only if the students response was copied from the internet but also from other students current/past responses. This has allowed me to capture many times where a student tries to submit the same research paper for multiple classes and in one circumstance where a student was turning… >>>

ISD question

Since ISD is NOT a linear process, what type of process is it? My first thought was dynamic, is that right? Just looking for the right descriptor.

Analogy Question Disagreement

I felt like Navigational would relate to lesson plan and structural would relate to sylabus. The lesson plan is what you do on a class to class basis. There's movement there which I relate to navigation. Structure seems to denote the whole of the course which is provided by the sylabus.

LECTURES v. CHATS

I have been teaching for about seven years now and I have found it to be a great challenge to adapt my traditional teaching methods to online methods. Of particular note is the live chat session. The main concern I have here is that the communication is more or less one way in the sense that my voice is the only one heard. With the software that I use, students are able to type a message to me or otherwise participate in side conversations via IM-style messages. To be honest, I really don't like this since it removes the primary… >>>

CORRESPONDING COMPONENTS

I like how, in this first section of the course, relationships were identified between online curricula and face-to-face curricula. For example, having a clearly organized framework or structure of the course as with a syllabus corresponds to an easily-navigable online platform. I mention this because i think it is important to think about traditional teaching when designing online platforms. Each real-life component of classroom teaching should have a corresponding online component. I think if we approach online course design in this manner we will be successful. Another aspect I am particularly curious about is: how can we replace the human… >>>

Online Courses and Hands-On Experience

I do not feel online courses fully cover what is necessary for a hands-on trade (eg. auto, nurse, etc). Do you think online courses are favorable for these trades? Why and/or why not?

Traditional Assessment Methods

Is it not more important to new methodologies of teaching/learning to craft questions in a manner that forces thinking. Can't form od assessment such as those is Cloze Test, and mutltiple choice be effective if the question asked is well thought out? You thoughts?

Too much freedom

I can't totally agree with all that was said in this module in regards to allowing students to access information in various forms. In my experience, too many, if given the opportunity to use the internet in class, will usually end up,very quickly, on socail sites etc that have no relation to course content. Perhaps it is the 18-25 year old groups I usually deal with but that is the majority of post secondary education is it not? Hyper links are OK as you can control the area acessed to some extent but to allow them to decide where they… >>>

Its Not About the Technology

I believe that anyone can learn the technology necessary to succeed. The mentality is that any student can learn and adapt to the course platform. However, I find it amazing that many instructors bulk at learning new learning platforms. Why are instructors immune from learning new material or technical abilities? What are your thoughts on this?

Challenges of development

Personally, I tend to believe that the development of online courses requires a higher level of ability for a number of reasons. Primarily, the need to concentrate on the various levels of technical ability of the learners as well as motivating the students when the in class opportunities are not available. What are your thoughts on this?

Opportunities for cheating

Unfortunately, the opportunites for cheating online are numerous and extremely easy to do. The Internet provides the "dishonest" student sites to either copy or buy previously completed assignments. The major sticking point is how to deal with the plagarism and the student claiming they did their work themselves. Too many student advisors and counselors siding with the students and leave the instructor to stand by themselves when dealing with this issue. What are your thoughts on this?