Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

time lines

my most difficult portion of on line education is having students submit work in a timely fashion, yes you need to understand that an online education is at the mercy of the students schedule, however they must respect the due dates of their work.

I agree about the submission of assignments being submitted in a timely fashion and I don't know if this will work or not, but if you have a cut-off for submission and the student fails to meet that timeline, they should get a zero for the assignment.
I know it sounds cold and callous, but if a brick and mortar school requires a student to submit an assignment by a certain date, the same rules and consequences should apply for the distance learning student.
Take care,
Mike Vigh

I agree that students must follow the same deadlines as an on campus course. However, I have allowed some flexibility in deadlines because in many instances online students choose to be online because of scheduling issues.

I have taken online courses and all my instructors had the policy that if you fail to meet the dealine you will not receive credit for that assignment. This happened to me only once and believe me I got started earlier on the assignment the next time.

Love this story! Deadlines are everywhere and I love when they are enforced.

Michael,

I work for an online university with multicultural students and we have concerns regarding the assignment due dates. Some cultures think it is acceptable to take more time after the due date to submitting an assignment. What do you think our policy should be for late submission?

I find this issue quite challenging with my students as well James. I try and ding them points wise in such a way that encourage them to submit their work in a timely manner.

Sign In to comment