Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Discussions used in Group project interaction

As an instructor one of the problems I encounter is students not interacting together appropriately in group projects in a traditional classroom. Students miss the concept of working as a group in a classroom setting. On-line courses force students to interact within a group to accomplish the project. You will have students who in a regular classroom setting would not be forth coming with ideas and interact, because they feel dominated by students who are more vocal. Discussion boards give students an even playing field when presenting their ideas for the project and discussing with their groups.

Getting carried away

With the abilities we have in technology it seems to be easy to get carried away. What is the best way to avoid overplay with our graphics?

Talking about integrity

I believe it is important to come up with a way to do online exams and protect the integrity of those exams without having to set up additional time and space for a proctor. Employers are starting to see more fraudulant degrees. When teaching online courses acrossed the nation this would be quite difficult as well as costly. Any ideas?

Should students critique one another

I bleieve the ability to have chat rooms is great. The ability to have synchronous and asynchronous I also think is great. However, is it appropriate for students to actually critique each other? Isn't the idea of the chat room to be inovative and pull from everyone else's knowledge and way of thinking? Isn't it more the job of an instructor to critique? By deffinition it is the act or art of criticizing. Any comments?

Experience vs Education

Does it matter where your education came from? On-line courses are fairly new and I don't think the typical hiring manager may be very aware of the ability and additional retention one can gain with the navigational simplicity. Traditional learning can be very restrictive. Isn't it true that most will hire the most experienced and possitive canditate if they have several with the educational requirements and diplomas? What do you think?

Formative Evaluation

Evaluation plays a key role in the design process. For those of you that developed online classes, what types of formative evaluations have you used?

Integrity of online examination

I am beginning to build on-line coursework and have great concerns regarding exam integrity. Does anyone have any suggestions in this area? I did read one forum suggestion which indicated online work leading to in-class examination. I am curious as to other suggestions for protecting integrity.

Online only versus supplemented In-class courses

Hello All, How effective can elearning be, for students of career colleges that use expensive or highly specialized equipment? Are the benefits of time-shifting, robust media, etc. outweighed by the necessity to be on location to use labs? I'm of the mind that online course loads for these programs could be great supplementary material for the in-class sessions, but will probably not be used to replace or substitute actually class time. Comments anyone?

On-line assignments and discussions

In the learning environment of teaching career students computer skills, I have to follow a syllabus with the regards to the topic to be discussed and give assignments to students. I have made students of the Medical Assisting, Business Office Pharmacy technicians, Medical Billing, e-mail me their assignments and projects and sometimes I would ask them questions so they would discuss what they have submitted on-line. Students would not respond. I think with this information it would be a good time to suggest for curriculum changes to include on-line participationg. These students when they start working in their fields, they… >>>

Online vs Traditional Education

In today's marketplace, more and more schools are offering online coursework. The standards that were set in an in-class setting are being met and even exceeded using online formats. Hiring of most employees is done by meeting a specific qualification and then interviewing qualified candidates to see if they: 1. Possess the knowledge they claim; 2. Fit the personality of the office; 3. Bring a positive attitude. 4. etc. Therefore, having the degree is more important than where it was obtained. Therefore, I would hire the candidate that best fits with my current employees and the needs of the position.

Online course design specification...

In this module, you have been introduced to the benefits of creating a Course Design Specification. Assume that you are outsourcing course development to a company that develops online courses. In what ways would a Course Design Specification benefit you as well as the person the vendor has assigned to manage the development of your courses?

Online assessment methods...

In this module we addressed several online course components. Describe a course that you have taught, either online or onsite, and discuss the assessment methods you would use when facilitating that course online. Be sure to justify why you chose each assessment method and discuss why others would not be appropriate.

Online discussion methods...

In this module we addressed the selection of appropriate learning activities in an online course. Assume you are an instructor at a career college that offers associate degrees in web design. You have been asked to convert your Advanced Web Design course to an online format and you have discovered that the course management system you are using supports both synchronous and asynchronous discussion methods. You have always encouraged learners to collaborate with and support each other in your onsite classroom and you want to bring this sense of community to your online course also. Discuss the pros and cons… >>>

Online vs. traditional education...

In this module we addressed the attributes of quality online courses. Assume that you are a Controller. You have interviewed several candidates for the position of Bookkeeper, and are at the point when you have to choose between two candidates. One of these candidates received her academic credentials by attending traditional classroom sessions; the other by completing an online program. All other selection criteria being equal between these two candidates, would you hire the candidate who received her academic credentials through online learning? Justify your answer.