Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ISD question

Since ISD is NOT a linear process, what type of process is it? My first thought was dynamic, is that right? Just looking for the right descriptor.

Jody, I would say dynamic. It is not simply circular as while developing and executing the class each section/item will be revisited and has the possibility of being rewritten.

Susan

Course design is mapped out. Each part of your instruction has steps. The best way to demonstrate how it is done is to build a flow chart. For example, instructing a student how to turn on a computer. It would not be click the the on button. First, you would need to tell the student how to locate the on button on the computer. Next, tell the student to push or click this button. Finally, the student should see a display on the screen. It is a three step process and this would be need to be place in the flow chart. Alos, include and pictures that you would use as a sub step.

Excellent detail.

I think a "spiral" process best describes it. Each time through the process you should consider the information and insights you got through the previous iteration. This means that there is more knowledge each time through, making each loop "bigger" than the one before it. IMO, simply moving through a circle implies that you're not taking the previous cycles into consideration.

Interesting, so will there ever be a point where you might add something back in?

I think so. It would be too limiting not to take advantage of the sum of all your experiences with the materials. The only time you wouldn't want to is when the course is retired.

I agree.. constant evaluation and revision is the hallmark of a relevant and useful course.

Kassy,
Yes....I cannot stress enough to do quality control each and every term. So many links break or even get sold!

Shelly Crider

Jody, to answer your question, ISD is an "integrative and iterative" systematic process used to develop instruction.

Sign In to comment