Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Time Management

As  an instructor of blended courses, I find the time management for blended courses to be overwhelming.  After a ten to twelve hour day teaching and 2 plus hours driving, I am not motivated to get on the computer at the end to respond to discussion responses.  I have no problem on my short work days.  Any suggestions on how to manage this aspect?

Guest Lecturer

I have never used or seen a guest lecturer used. What are some strategies for incentivizing a guest to come lecture or answer questions on a topic. I think we could benefit from using guest lectures to illustrate different expressions the technical skillset we teach, but what does it look like when you use this learning tool? I would have a hard time not feeling like I was having them do my job, how do you view it?

Intellectual Interaction - Q?

What do you find are the most effective "learning elements" or learning activities for students who are learning hands on skills and clinical applications? I am thinking video and interactive scenarios would be good but what do ya'll find to be most effective? How do you create an opportunity to engrain or "practice" a clinical skill in a web based learning platform? I am excited to learn more about this and surely these questions will be answered as I move through this material but I figure I would use this tool at my disposal.

Confused

We are not the course designers for ECPI, I am confused as to why we are required to complete these lessons.

R/Evolution

Often in the online environment, there is a wide variety of computer navigating experience levels because there are 'adult learners' that are not from the current 'tech savvy' sociiety.

What type of support do you provide to bridge the gap for these 'new computer' students to ease their navigation difficulties?

TO BE informed via graphics or NOT TO BE

Although I appreciate integrating visuals into my classroom, I am finding more and more animations and gifs to be a distraction to a student's encoding & retention of information.  Has anyone researched or have information regarding the correlation of 'moving graphics' and the effect on student retention?

Cartoons/Videos/YouTube

Is it okay to use these in our online courses? How can we get permission (if at all) to use these creations?

Implementing Online courses

I am using a pilot online approach with our sudents.  Thlis gives them the opportunity to take distance online courses and still maintain a family life and continued to be employed full time.  The approach is hybrid online.  They have a week to submit their work and they are required to come to campus one day a week.  During this one day they will have the structure, support, and guidance that will help them navigate, upload or download information.  The students get face to face this one day a week.  This helps solidify and encourage their learning experience or at… >>>

Simulation

I teach finances at master degree level, I use simulation business game with excellent results.

Computer Basics

I am teaching a basic Office class and the labs are automated how can I prevent them from getting frustrated?

Anyone using embedded videos for math?

I'm developing a new approach to online math: one that uses embeddded videos, enriched topic material, student to student mentoring, in addition to standard online tools. Does anyone have experience with attempts or successes with these ideas.

Developing e Learning Environments

This is a tool to use with the student.  This is a HUGE factor in student participation. I know when I took online classes and the first person posted, if I realized my answer was different then I waited for others to post thinking that I was way off base.

Thank you,

Dr. Davis

Copyright

Copyright Laws are very important to institutions to ensure that the students are using material correctly.  They are also of importance to instructors to ensure that the material that they are providing to students is not protected.

Guest lecturer

Do any of you have expereince with Guest Lecturers? I would love to provide more variety for my students and this seems like a potentially positive way to do it. Do the students read the lecture or is it a video of the lecture that you would post? 

LMS

what is the LMS you are using and your course? I used moodle and it works

Instructional Design

Does anyone utiulized the WIIDS method in their online program?

LMS Opinions

I'd like to hear what is the LMS you are using and your overall opinion of what works and/or what doesn't

Group Projects

In our LMS, we have a section called Collaboration. In the section, I have the students work on their group assignments. One person or the entire group can work on the assignment. The students can work on the assignments from anywhere. When they are finished, they can download the Google Docs into a Word Document and upload their assignment individually for grading. 

Is anyone doing something similiar?

Chats and Online Conferences

Using these modes do you give quizzes or essays?

Canvas LMS

We are using the above LMS. I have been using it for about 30 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas on using any of the features primarily Collaboartion, Conferencing, and Shat.