Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Courses and Hands-On Experience

I do not feel online courses fully cover what is necessary for a hands-on trade (eg. auto, nurse, etc). Do you think online courses are favorable for these trades? Why and/or why not?

I think that some do provide hands on, such as Keyboarding, and Records management. In keyboarding they are producing documents that they very well could be producing in the work place. In records management there is a simulation project, this project does give them hands on experiencing with indexing and alphabetizing records, there are sections that require numeric filing, subject filing, etc.

I think that online learning "can" give hands-on experience in many fields requiring problem-solving based learning techniques. Online learning comprised of discussions and project-based learning structures, in my opinion, are the best approach. For example, offering visual scenarios within a course and allowing the student to give responses and navigate through a problem within a course would contribute to a better learning environment. One of the main drawbacks within online technology is that we have not yet reached the level of delivery of these types of methods, but I feel we will in the future.

I completely agree, we have not reached the potential in the online environment, but I am with you I think we will get there and then technology will improve and we will be able to continue to improve. There will never be a time when it is the best we can give.

As I contemplate teaching my Introduction to Anthropology course on-line for the first time, I do find myself thinking of what will be lost in translation in using this format. While my students will gain the flexibility of the time and setting, we will all lose the benefits of our group discussions. While each student can go on his or her own to the field trips, and view the videos, it is difficult to replicate the on-the-spot reactions we have had. As anthropology is the holistic study of all people at all times and in all places, this will be in contrast to our mostly solitary, isolated studies in the on-line class. However, I will also be teaching my in-person course at the same time, so the two courses will provide an interesting cross-cultural study.

Good point Barbara....even when we teach the same course time after time...the students in the classes will be a bit different.

My son is actually enrolled in an online program for auto mechanics, and I had the same concern. While there are limitations (can not physically touch and assemble parts), he stated that the visual tools do allow him to identify the parts that will be needed for the job, and also allow him to see the completed assembly after he has selected all of the parts & tools needed to properly do the job.
Of course jobs like auto mechanic & nursing can not fully prepare the student for real world interaction, so typically they are required to fulfill a required amount of on-hand hours to gain that real-world experience such as clinicals for nursing.

Ron,
This could be a way of enhancing critical thinking skills that many students are missing.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment