Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Too much freedom

I can't totally agree with all that was said in this module in regards to allowing students to access information in various forms. In my experience, too many, if given the opportunity to use the internet in class, will usually end up,very quickly, on socail sites etc that have no relation to course content. Perhaps it is the 18-25 year old groups I usually deal with but that is the majority of post secondary education is it not? Hyper links are OK as you can control the area acessed to some extent but to allow them to decide where they want to go to get more info usually leads to being distracted into other areas. It is too easy to "link off" into never-neverland. If time was no object they could be free to pursue information at whatever pace worked for them but in college time is an object!

Interesting thoughts, Andre. I would encourage you to think about the idea of facilitating rather than controlling the environment of learning. Information can be managed but not controlled and I think the challenge of keeping students on task and focused is not new with this generation :) Our methods may need to modify but the outcome must remain - supporting learning. How do you think the technology can be maximized while still supporting learning?

Andre, I agree with your reply.
I must say i also have learned a lot in this session about why the students today do not relate to regimented learning sessions like the generations of past....

I believe we can integrate some of the content at least in the understanding of how this generation prseaves information, as opposed to expecting the info to just flow out in exacting form.

Rick Touchette

Yes, good points, Rick. Newer technology has affected how students think and learn and process information. I like your ideas about designing instruction rather than simply transmitting it. Can you identify the core characteristics of the kind of instructional design you think would be most successful?

I feel that this could happen at first But i see as time goes by that they will stay in line to what they need to if they are give the right tools to move forward and keep their mind in tune with what they need to learn about their subject.

The internet is a vast knowledge base, some of it valid and some of it false information. First of all, keeping a student on task, is a matter of keeping them engaged. A course that is properly designed to allow the use of external reasearch sources can do this very effectively, simpley by putting a time constraint an information gathering. The student will not have time to deviate from a good plan to research rather thn socialize. Second, if the student happens to gather false information, that allows for a good point of discussion about pitfalls to look out for in the real world and how to decipher good information and false information.

So, Benson, the challenges of the Internet actually force the instructor to be proactive in teaching appropriate research and information analysis skills in students.

James, can you share your methods to keep students "in line" and to provide them with the tools they need to move forward? I agree that the technology itself can demand this level of self-directedness.

I feel the web is a great tool for learning. I have done a great deal of research on the web. My concern would be with loosing their interest in the project they still need structure.

I agree with this, I have students that put the internet to good use, and other students that get distracted and I start hearing comments of things that are not even about the subject that they should be finding the information on.

So, Jacqueline, how can you channel the student energy to the focus of the course? Is there a way to help students use their interest in the Internet to increase their participation in the class?

I have the same problem in the classroom for a class that is entirely on ground and for a blended format where I want to interact with the students face to face during the classroom portion of the course. I find that several of the students would rather be on the computer doing the online portion while in the classroom instead of participating in the live discussions and activities. After the first two on ground class meetings this quarter, I have requested that the remaining on ground meetings be moved out of a computer lab into a regular classroom to take away the temptation of irrelevant (or relevant) use of the computer during the time that has been set aside for face-to-face interaction.

A managed IT department can help settle some misguided web use, by filters etc.

Which is more effective, Mitchell, imposing system blocks or teaching students how to find useful information and how to apply that information relevantly?

I agree with you. My student's ages range from 18-40. The younger students when allowed on-line wander off topic and chat. Where my older student respect (Time) and do the research needed to finish a project.

Interesting, Sylvia. So how do you think your could integrate the "chat" and real time energy of your younger students more effectively in the actual course and work time? As you think about this, think about the instructional design of yoru course - perhpas you could insert some real time work during class...?

In my experience, too many, if given the opportunity to use the internet in class, will usually end up,very quickly, on socail sites etc that have no relation to course content.

Dana,
This is only due to "down" time which also happens in a class without technology - without focus, students will find other things to think about if their attention is not being engaged. The idea is not just to hand out laptops but to have the design of instruction be in place so that work is expected and the Internet is just a tool within the context of learning.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think that the freedom to use the Internet in a classroom setting can be managed by how the classroom is set up. If you have computers around the perimeter and desks and/or tables in the center of the classroom, then you have the best of both worlds.
Even when students are on the computer, an instructor can easily see all of the computer screens and what is being pulled up on them. It also provides an environment where large group instruction (eg. introducing a project, concept or task) can take place, as well as smaller group collaboration.
I realize that this will take a lot of convincing for campus operations to make these kinds of changes but I feel it is well worth it.

Melanie ,
Where Bluetooth and wireless are available, the mobility means that students can be connected even at their tables :) also computers change to become phones, handhelds, tablets, laptops etc which means the configuration of the room space can be more creative and conducive to collaborative learning.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment