Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

learning outcomes

I agree with the fact that it is more important to manage the outcome results, rather then how they got there

So, do you disregard process, Jacqueline? Perhaps, while the outcomes are the focus of learning, the process is important to understanding how each student learns?

Some of my math courses about business management are perfect for the process idea as it relates to the impact of one business factor on others and the crestivity of pushing/pulling one to the other

In a vocational setting the process is what’s important, a student following a pin point test that has them test an electrical circuit on a car if done incorrectly can lead them in the wrong direction, or it can cause them to give the right answer but be totally wrong. An example would be the test asks them to test resistance on a circuit with the fault being an O.L. reading which means no continuity or an open in the circuit, if the student checks the wrong pins in a connector with several pins, his outcome would be a reading of O.L., right answer totally wrong procedure, so assessing the procedure is critical in the outcome of the test. Along with this his navigation of getting to the pin point test on the web and using the computerized scan tool connected to the car is important, he has to be able to access the vehicle computer and performing tests to obtain a fault code, he then has to navigate to a web page find the workshop manual, navigate through the manual using the fault code to the pin point test, to perform the electrical tests. These tests are tough; the student has to use reading comprehension skills, technology skills, technical skills and physical skills to perform the test.

Excellent, Greg. Our commitment MUST be to the process as we are in the business of developing skills and applying those skills in the workplace.

I think it’s interesting that learning outcomes are so set in stone. I believe that the learning outcomes of a course should be constantly evolving based on technology and process of delivery. Currently its a long drawn out process to update them and its often goes by the wait side.

Sign In to comment