Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing On-Line courses

How much prep work is required to manage on-line course work?

Online courses are much more detailed. If you are teaching an online class you should spend at least twice the amount of time as a on ground class. It takes lots of postings and detail to communicate with the students. Dr. Tipton

Personally, I have not found that it requires much more prep work. This may be because I use many different media's in my on the ground classrooms.

I agree for the most part, an online course if not terribly time consuming to manage. If it's the first time I've taught the course, I will spend more time prepping before the class begins. But most often, I'll prepare for one-two weeks before students log in: proofing quiz questions, multi-media links, pre-loaded materials, and then organizing my handouts, study guides, lecture notes and visuals. Once the course begins I organize time for discussion board participation, grading assignments, lecture delivery, office hour, and administrative communications--much like an on-gound course.

Online courses usually require a significant amount of prep work. Especially if you have full responsibility for course development. I have tautght in some universities where they cannned lectures and activities and I find that even then I need to adjust and organize the class so that I feel it is a worthy and academically strong class.

William,
I am happy that you take the time to go through the class and give it your touch.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment