Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

How approachable is the instructor?

One of my biggest issues is how approachable is the instructor for the online student. Personally, I have heard and seen how the instructors don't want to supply contact numbers for the students. I feel the students may feel isolated enough while in the online platform without further alienation by not be able to verbally communicate with their instructors? What are your thoughts on this?

Should Your Online Platform Evolve?

TEAM!!! As Google has mastered, A simple change in the Structure of your Platform throughout the Semester can add to your students overall knowledge. What changing "Theme" or idea can you come up with that may stimulate further research or discussion in your courses???

Managing On-Line courses

How much prep work is required to manage on-line course work?

More time initially but less time eventually.

While it may take more time to create an online course initially, if the job is done correctly, it is a worthwhile investment. The reward will be afterwards, when the course will be effective in having students learn the material. Also, an effective course may be reused over ond over with minor adjustments and updates.

Proctored exams may decrease cheating.

Required proctored exams decrease cheating by making sure that students are in a sterile and monitored testing environment. Furthermore, student identity can be verified. Are these proctored exams necessary?

Should proctored exams be used?

In order to determine, without a shadow of a doubt, that students have mastered the competencies of the course, should a proctored final exam be required?

time lines

my most difficult portion of on line education is having students submit work in a timely fashion, yes you need to understand that an online education is at the mercy of the students schedule, however they must respect the due dates of their work.

cheating is possible

With on line education, it is much easier to get help with assignments, a nice feature is to have exams and quizzes time sensative, so it makes it more difficult to get extra help.

online student

As an online student, I have made the transition to posting class content with ease in my current class. Stating the process seems difficult, however once completed it makes my job alot easier.

Finding visuals for classes

I am wondering where people find videos and visuals for their courses. My husband teaches high school and was told he can use anything out there freely in his classes. It is my understanding in the for profit world we are not allowed to do so, but there are so many great things on you tube for example. I am curious where others obtain valuable information for the students?

Getting past the minimums

How do you all get students to do more than the minimum work in a forum. If it says to post two comments by Monday there are many who wait until Monday and just post two. They expect that gives them an "A" when in reality it was the minimum.

Where to begin??

I have taught online for several years now and have been asked to develop a comprehensive exam for a master's program. This alone is a daunting task, but you develop a whole course is where I aspire to go with it. I feel there is just so much that can be discussed in a criminal law class for example that I don't know where to even begin. Do any of you have thoughts on how to narrow the topics to start developing course materials?

Constructing an Online Course can be daunting

What have you learned about online course construction that allow you to apply these techniques to the real world? There are many approaches to developing content for e-learning. Many institutions require a set format to be followed. In others, the target for completion of an approvable course keeps shifting. How does one navigate the complexities of creating an online course with the proper look, feel and comprehensible content that makes for a successful learning experience? Share your thoughts...

Is there any standard for software systems supporting online learning

Software standards are essential part of software systems moving forward and creating proper inter-use. Is there any standards for the online learning systems?

Frequency of participation in discussions!

Hi, It is very important to set a minimum number of posting in online dicussions. The quality of posting is very important as well. Oneliner posting should not be credited with any points. I think, a minimum of three postings per topic is a logical standard for any online discussions. The first posting should be the introduction, second one should be response to someone else's posting and extend thoughts, and the final posting should be a summarized thoughts on the topic.

Core Question - New Thread

Based on how long the original thread has gotten- I am reposting the core question. QUESTION: The time invested to develop a quality online course is less than the time required to develop the same course for a traditional classroom delivery. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your answer.

Requiring particular software?

I am going to teach statistics online, and I will write some of the content in MathML (Mathematical Markup Language). How do you tell the students to use a browser that supports MathML?

The Dreaded "I agree!" In Discussion Forums

How can we avoid the dreaded “I Agree” in Discussion Forums (Asynchronous Forums)? Other than mandating minimum length, how can we stimulate quality responses to student posts? My experience indicates that one of the top things online students HATE to do is respond to each other’s posts. That said, I ask you. How can we encourage quality discussions on online forums?

Setting The Right Tone -

I am Program Chair for a new Program. Hospitality and Restaurant Management (HRM) My goal is to “set the right tone” early in the course so students know what to expect and get a feel that they are supported. To do this we have created a intro class that will discuss strategies for online learning. We have grated a “training room” that contains an orientation, resources, and a profile of the Online Team. What else can we be doing to set the tone and give the message to students that they need to meet expectations and that they have a… >>>

Academic Integrity and Cheating

Melissa Olt quoted a study in 2003 that named three possible approaches to minimizing (online) cheating and plagiarism was recommended: first, there was the virtues approach. The virtues approach sought to develop students who did not want to cheat. Second, the prevention approach, the goal was to eliminate or reduce opportunities for students to cheat and to reduce the pressure to cheat. The final proposal was the police approach, with the objective to catch and punish those who do cheat. He said that policing, when employed consistently, could also serve as a preventative measure (Hinman 2000). My question (s): Is… >>>