Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Distribution to Multiple Locations

On line learning is our next big move, as we have multiple locations with a few students, and potential overseas applications as well. I'm a bit concerned about being able to deliver the education as well as we can in person, so I'm taking this course.

Online vs in classroom

Online classes are great for those who have busy schedules and families.

Course discussions

These are helpful to students in that they allow one to enter information at their leisure.

Chat rooms

Some students may have difficult accessing the chat room if this is something that they have never experienced.

Interaction

It is important for students to have verbal interaction with other students and the instructor.

Instructor and computer programer

Do the instructor and computer programer have to work together?

Online instructor Office hour

This is important , because students assume that Faciliators or online instructors are available all the time . Don't you think so?

Instructors are actors and online course can be a movie

These days younger people love to work with computer. Online courses with a good design can stimulate them even better than a real classroom and live instructor.

Getting Students to Get Involved with OnLine Chat

I think that in this day and age that most students go to online schooling because they can keep their current work/home, etc. schedule. I am wondering, however, since everyone has different schedules how an instructor can encourge students to participate in live chat. Does anyone have any thoughts?

group work vs individual work

In a traditional classroom setting students have trouble meeting to work in groups, or the usual one person does all the work and another person does nothing, but expects credit. I have never taught an online course yet, but looks to me as though an online course would force the students to somehow interact with each other since they never met, and need to know what others in their group are doing.

online vs. on ground

How essential is it to create an online course to an on ground course for first time college students since they are familiar with on ground contact with instructors?

Time Zones

Should more than one synchronous chats be offered to accommodate students in various parts of the world?

Text & Course Structure

How crucial is it to structure an online course to parallel the required text?

Technology Needed

I am not much of a computer person - am 60 years old! Nonetheless, I am starting to become fascinated with what it would take for an on-line course to be truly fascinating to the student. I do think that seeing the instructor talking will make a higher quality of connectioni - rather than just seeing text or even hearing a voice with no significant visual. What technology do you all recommend for a novice to come up with video-lectures that could work well? Also what do you now about video-emails? I may be jumping the gun re media (Topic… >>>

ENROLLMENT

How do institutions ensure that the students they enroll are prepared to take an on-line course?

How realistic are chat sessions?

Many students move to the online environment because their lives dictate that they cannot be in class at a particular time. Do you feel chats are realistically possible when you are trying to accommodate a time that will work for 10-25 differently scheduled people?

How do You Teach Poise In an Online Presentation Environment

For myself, I have honed my ability to speak in a group setting by practice, practice, practice. I have studied co-workers, teachers, and other students for tips on how to present myself. I have had teachers who told me to stand up straighter, smile, speak louder. I could see my instructor's face giving me encouragement. I do this for my on the ground students, and the results are amazing. How can you accomplish this in an online setting?

How Will You Show Your Passion in Online Learning?

We all just completed the first quiz. The first presentation was clear and multi-sensory. But, I wonder how you show your passion. Do you see areas in online education where you will be able to incorporate your personality, humor, personal excitement in the online classroom?

Unlimited Quizzing

I'm not sure how I feel about this... To me, it makes more sense for students to know they have to study the material to be able to pass a quiz. Not jsut keep guessing until they get a 100. I feel as though a compromise should be made. Maybe students should have multiple tries, but they should be limited, to maybe 3 or something.

Evaluating individual contributions to a group project

As an Instructor, I find group projects particularly difficult. Many times, one or two students within the group take on a majority, if not all of the work. How do we assess the comprehension & contribution of individual students? Assigning a single grade for each of the group members does not seem fair nor is it reflective of individual student ability. Will mandatory chat sessions resolve this issue? Is that enough?