Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Traditional Assessment Methods

Is it not more important to new methodologies of teaching/learning to craft questions in a manner that forces thinking. Can't form od assessment such as those is Cloze Test, and mutltiple choice be effective if the question asked is well thought out? You thoughts?

Is it not more important to new methodologies of teaching/learning to craft questions in a manner that forces thinking? Can't you form an assessment with Cloze Test, and multiple choice questions? Would this methodology of testing be effective if the questions asked were well thought out? What are your thoughts?

The Collins English Dictionary defines Cloze testing as “the ability to comprehend text in which the reader has to supply the missing words that have been removed from the text (…)” In the educational process there is more to learning than memorization. Cloze testing, multiple choice, and standardize testing should not be the only method of determining a grade. These methods of testing should be incorporated in the process of education than in determining knowledge. I am sure that everyone agrees that a medical student training to be a heart surgeon should know the name of each muscle, nerves and blood vessels of the heart. Yet, I am sure all will agree that knowing and memorizing the names are not enough to be a qualified and effective surgeon. Medical schools know the process of education. These institutions have developed and incorporated testing and skill development. The student must demonstrate his/her full knowledge of the heart and methodologies of surgery. A static test is not enough.

A pilot, ship captains and police officer schooling incorporate a holistic educational approach to their educational processes. It is clearly apparent that our educational institutions are lagging behind our private and government training programs.

The current standard methodology of teaching is static learning; whereas the student and instructor are not engaged in the processes of education. The learner is perched on her/his seat listening for words. The teacher provides a syllabus of expectations of what has to be memorized. Schools across the country are teaching children how to pass test; the cognitive processes are absent.

Therefore, should we ponder over the question, are our business schools producing the brightest students or are our brightest students just memorizing business theory?

What if our heart surgeon was allowed to graduate based on a letter grade and MBAs graduated understanding the knowledge and had complete content based testing before graduating? Would our business graduated better understand the processes of business and business decision impact? Would our country be in this economic situation? We must wonder if memory recall is enough for anyone to graduate from school.

What say you?

Faysha, are you preferring cloze and quiz methods or preferring critical questions? My sense is that it is important to know what kind of information is expected or required from students when designing assessment.

I fully agree, Walter, that standardized tests (regardless of design) are inherently exclusive to most students. The important challenge for teachers is to design assessments that require students to develop new knowledge and apply that knowledge in a meaningful way. My sense is also that the uses of new technology develop new skills that we don't even include in our assessment rubrics - we need to understand what is actually being learned and how, before we can truly evaluate the learning.

Just an observation about testing techniques. Here at our technical school we use standardized multiple choice testing because it is precisely what our industry uses. I however also use a written exam in my cousre. I find it quite revealing that most can pass the MC test well enough but what they write as answers on my written declares a lack of understanding. This test is most useful to me as it allows me to see where my course or others that precede it, need to focus more attention. The test has been updated many times as we enhance these trouble areas and no longer need to test on certain areas of study as most students now answer correctly. However, as effective and revealing as this has been, I would like to expand it somehow to allow for other methods of answering because I know from observation that some students do know the information but can't put in words well. I am always open to suggestions.

You have described the reality and limitations of standardized testing, Andre. I love how you provide additional opportunities for students to actually apply their learning - those are, as you say, what also demonstrate what students really understand.

"...we need to understand what is actually being learned and how, before we can truly evaluate the learning."

Well said. The application of knowledge on certain types of tests is difficult, at best, to ascertain.

Yes, Andrea, and most preset or standardized testing could never really evaluate the actual learning process. It is important to know which evaluation method provides information about what exactly, before using it in a course.

I work with Andre, and also have a written test which provides multiple insight into retention of information. By submitting these kind of tests before and during the subject matter you can find who's acknowledging the applications.

I think the old methods can test things like industry vocabulary (which is important) and specific facts that are important for entrance in the field, but anyone can memorize these. Critical thinking, collaboration and self improvement skills are far more important skills in employers.

Sign In to comment