Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Email Correspondence

Has anyone tried using a designated time for answereing emails? If so, have you ever had complaints about a delayed response or have you ever missed a time sensitive important announcement?

Great question Melissa! I once implemented a one day policy for myself. I would respond to all emails within one day of receipt. I found that the policy wasn't realistic in that some emails required me to perform time consuming tasks. Others required that I request information from sources who did not respond to me within a day. In the end, I modified my rule. I would respond to emails within one day. But sometimes, my response was “Just wanted to let you know that I received your message and I'll get back to you in X amount of days.” That was the most realistic method.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely start using the "I'll get back to you" message.
I agree it is realistic and I also feel the person will know I will communicate with them at some point and that they are important to me.

Yes,
I have a designated time for checking emails for my students but it didnt quite work out. I had to create a alternate time, by 10:00 p.m. I normally reply back by then.

I found that I had messages which required prompt responses, generally desired the same day. So, instead I read/answer email at the 9:00am break and again at the 2:30pm breaks. I prioritize the emails/messages and place in suspense files those that require further research/analysis, and just answer those necessary at the break time.

I also installed a good anti-spam program, and developed a white list for students or school related matters. Other, including personal email comes in to a different address which I check before work or at home via web mail.

good idea. We have alot of useless emails that take up time.

I usually only get emails from my students informing me that they won't be in class. And I don't get those often. They ask for the work and I will reply back with an attachment if the assignment is written. I will also give them the lab assignment and my tutoring hours. I usually check email and voicemail when I first arrive to my desk.

I do get some complaints. With returning phone calls. When a student emails or calls they typically expect a return immediately - many of my students are gen Y and milliums so that is the expectation. I try and reduce this expectation by talking about my response time in every lecture and I do always respond within 24 hours.

Sign In to comment