Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Oral Presentations

At the end of each module, I require students to conduct a 10 minute speech with outlines, presentation materials and a question and anwer session in order to demonstrate their understanding of the material that was presented during that module.

This is an effective time management tool because I can evaulate them at the time that they are giving the presentation and there is nothing for me to take home to grade.

Also, this allows students who have a hard time writing what they understand to show me orally that they really do comprehend the material. It also boosts their self-esteem, allows them to gain confidence in what they know and it reinforces the material for the other students who listen to the presentation.

Great idea Betty! In addition to benefits to you, requiring students to speak in front of a group helps them to develop good presentation and communication skills. These can be key to their future employment and potential for promotion.

I agree with Betty. one of the best ways to build confidence and self esteem is to allow the student to give3 an oral presentation. This gives the student additional ways to process the information from class and will assist other students in learning. I usually start on the first day of class with a presentation format and outline that states what the student needs to do for the presentation. I usually ask for no less than 10 minutes but not to exceed 30. I allow them to use 1 note card as guide to go off of for structure. I ask the students to have at least three references. Only one of these references can be from the text or internet. It amazes me how many students do not know how to find materials other than the internet. I also ask they turn in material in a report form. This is a good way to introduce students to public speaking as well as how to make a report with bibliography pages and good content structure. I have even gone to the extreme of asking students to do report on 12 font, ariel, and single space. The kicker of this that they need to do this on their own time which gives the student accountability for what they are trying to accomplish.

Awesome suggestions – I haven't incorporated the reference material into the actual report, but I will next module. I'll also add the 1 - 5x7 card ideal as well; this may keep them from reading word for word and allow them to practice eye contact, which is extremely important. I also agree with presenting the outline and what is required at the beginning of a new module and I reinforce this throughout the course, I do this to remind them that time is of the essences and that they are responsible for their presentations.

Thanks for the great ideals – I'm sure this will enhance my students performances.

Interesting points Dagger! I like the way that you give your students structure – particularly with respect to the time limit, one note card minimum and request for 3 references. The thought of giving a presentation can be paralyzing to some students. But often the worst part is not knowing how they will be assessed or what the rules are. Some students are comforted by presentation criteria like these – knowing that if they follow the rules, they are on track.

To make the "final" of a class a balanced situation for those who find oral presentations easy vs those who find writng easier, my finals are two part. Students give presentations with resticted guidelines, and also have a written portion to complete. I have found this to be a win/win situation.

I give my students a copy of the grading rubric about a week before presentations. This way, they know exactly what I'll be looking for and grading them on.
Each presentation is 15 minutes long. At the 13 minute mark my designated time-keeper (one of the other students) holds up a yellow card giving the presenters a "2 minute warning" so they can begin wrapping it up.
About 30 seconds before the 15 minute mark, the time-keeper holds up a red card to let them know they are out of time and should make their final remarks.
This has worked very well in helping the students remain within the time limits.

what course is being taught? perhaps too offtopic and time consuming?
-tom

The first student is the only one actually challenged...right? Aren't the other following student making adjustment to the first presentation or even getting ideas for themselves. Tell me how this works.

That is a good idea. I think it is also important for the students to feel comfortable speaking in front of their peers.

In all of my classes I require oral presentations which includes a research component (they have to reference using APA style as well). I admit when I was an undergrad I loathed oral presentations, however I have come to realize that it's an essential skill to get along in the world! It's rare to not have to present something as part of your job. Plus it's part of the learning pyramid - we learn the most by teaching others. I always show my students the learning pyramid to get them to understand why I ask them to do presentations. I also have a component in their grade that requires them to find a way to engage the class to help them really understand the concepts. It's worked great so far!

Sign In to comment