Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

no time to unwind or rejuvenate?

Our school has three semesters per year and typically the staff has two to three days off between semesters. Any suggestions on how we can cope with the stress of wrapping up one semester and preparing for the next in such a short time?

That's a great question Jean. You are right in that the break between semesters can be the most difficult for educators. For most educators, it's not a break break at all. One way that I have dealt with this in the past is to begin wrapping up the semester a few weeks prior to the semesters' end. This makes the end of the semester less of a crunch, so I can focus on other things. For example, I would schedule large student projects to be due a few weeks prior to the semester end. So projects that required lots of grading time were turned in earlier, giving me more time at the end of the semester to deal with other things.

Our school has one week off per year between Christmas and New Year's. Other than that one week we teach classes starting a new class every five weeks. I continually review my classes as I teach them and make changes as needed. I save any larger tasks for the Christmas break. All I can suggest is to start planning early and get things together so that when the time comes you can get done what you need to during that break.

I am fairly new at the "instructor" job, but we do start classes every 5 weeks in a 15 week program. I have "drop in" students every 5 weeks. I have prepared some general information and have a routine that I go by when orienting the new students. I try to keep things copied and prepared at all times so that it is not so stressful on the 4th week when a new group of students are about to start.

I agree. We have lately not had any break between semesters, therefore, the semester ends on Friday, and starts again on Monday. We have to get everything graded, get grades in and all by FRIDAY. I just make the last testing day on Wednesday and start to get stuff graded.

That’s a great idea Jennifer. Moving deadlines up a little can help give you the grading time you need.

Maybe something small can help like getting a haircut or a massage. both of those help give a new outlook on things even if they are small.

We teach 10 weeks and have one week in between before starting again.

And I do both of those suggestions. I always get a haircut and schedule a massage or facial. It is like having mini vacations! Colleagues even comment that I look well rested when we return back after the one week break.

That sounds wonderful Danielle. Sometimes even a very short break can be enough to get you recharged - especially if you plan on doing some relaxing spa activities.

I would suggest making sure your daily activities involve time for you on a regular basis.
- Find an online game you like to play.
- Go to the gym - make yourself - it takes time but it give your more energy.
- Watch your diet - try to avoid the hand to the mouth type of food on a regular basis.

Sign In to comment