Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Essay type questions

I have found that when I ask essay type questions I can usually scan the information written for key words or phrases. If I do not see them in a particular answer that leads me to read the answer more carefully and guide the student effectively.

Great point Steve! Some professors take your grading process one step further by asking students to underline key words and phrases in their essay answers. In most cases, this makes scanning for important information even more efficient.

I grade like you do, Steve. I scan the answers and my grading is completed very quickly. I guess it's because we are very familiar with the material and we know what we are looking for.

Great point Steve. I have used this from time to time, it will cut the grading time down considerably.

On essay type questions I also scan the essay and look for works,if I can't find them I will spend more time reading the essay for the content I am looking for.

Yes, when we grade essays long enough, it does start to become easier to pick out the important words. That said, it's always nice to ask our students to highlight the most important parts of their answers or use an underlining method.

It all makes sense what you are saying. I think I could consider essay questions in smaller classes, but not larger ones.

Sign In to comment