Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Accounting and Bookkeeping

What type of activities for first day can be done with my students. We don't really have any things to show around a play with. Please help!

What type of activities are you pertaining to, getting to know the student, introducing the course, icebreakers or what? What do you mean you don't really have any things to show around or play with?

Besides the introductions and handing out the syllabus, I jump in with Chapter 1 in Accounting.

I remember back in high school (40 years ago) our guidance counselor showed us a film on what accountants do. It dramatized an accountant visiting a business and consulting. Before that I thought accountants were just bookkeepers. It showed the account persuading a reluctant construction contractor that he should liquidate some old supplies inventory. He had to explain why taking a loss on this would actually help the businesses health.

A DVD like this might spark some interest in learning the nuts and bolts of accounting.

Hi Steven,
Students are very interested in learning the nuts and bolts of accounting. I can see how a film as such sparked interest. Students enjoy watching DVDs, VHSs, etc. to learn the nuts and bolts of a career. I have found students enjoy guest speakers as well.
Patricia

I would recommend coming up with a game that would require using both career skill and memory. For a first day it could include associating the names of their classmates along with a common bookkeeing task.

Hi Paul,
Exactly how would you go about playig this game? What would be the concept(s) of the game? Exactly where are you going with this idea?
Patricia

Good Evening....

I actually tried something new. As a Practical Nursing instructor, I had each of my students write down on a piece of paper their major reason for becoming a nurse, and what advice would they offer someone thinking about doing the same. It is an interesting take, since they are new students. 16 out of the 18 said that they would do the same thing all over again. That is the type of nurse that I want.

RB

Hi Rebecca,
As an educator, I can relate to the excercise you assigned your students. It is great to know 16 out of the 18 said that they would do the same thing all over again. As an educator for over 19 years, I would go into the same profession if I had to do it again. We need die-hard professionals that truly have a passion for their profession. There is nothing more than truly loving your profession. "You get a career you love, and you will never have to work a day in you life."
Patricia

i think you have great ideas

What a great idea! Sometimes I think we need to remind ourselves why we are getting into the job we have chosen. This is an excellent idea to do just that-- make us think about why we are doing what we are doing. Generally it's not about the money, it's about something else that just stuck with us.

This would work well with any profession! Think about teaching......why did you go into the teaching profession? That's a loaded question!

Hi Tina,
I agree. It is a loaded question. People have various reasons and very unique reasons as to why they got into a particular profession. I feel the biggest reason should be your genuine love for the profession of your choice. I absolutely love teaching, and I do not want to do any thing else!!
Patricia

What about question and answer. I ask my students questions based on accounting and see what they either remember from the text reading or what we might have just gone over. My students really like this. It is very engaging and I enjoy it as well.

Debra

I try and give out some monopoly money when they do well on question and answer. They can redeem it for extra credit on the tests. The student seem to like this.

thanks for all the efforts, I learned too many things today.
Thanks

Hi Ismail,
Accounting calls for strict concentration. You must be very careful when it comes to numbers.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment