Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Immediacy

My students are always my priority. I feel that I fail them if I do not promptly grade their papers or answer their e-mails or phone calls. I am a role model for them. If I don't care about the class why should they? Am I wrong?

Hi Anne-Patricia,
You are right on target. The key point is that you are a model for them. You will find that by being prompt with your replies and grading you will greatly reduce student problems. It is a fact that an unhappy student that is left to "stew" for a couple of weeks about a concern will expand the perceived situation to the point that it will be very hard to work through. Experience has shown me that prompt responses does show the student I care and this makes them more willing to come and talk with me quicker. This keeps small problems small. Gary

I feel the same way you do. I definitely suffer from immediacy issues. I can't go home at night unless I have all of the papers graded, recorded, and filed. I think of it as doing a good job!I am not sure it is a problem. What do you all think?

Hi Amy,
I think it has a lot to do with balance. I used to be over focused on getting things done and in the past, to my own detriment, sometimes those things were not important. Time is something I spend carefully now, like money. When it comes to student issues that have an immediate impact then there is urgency to accomplish quickly the task at hand. This maintains my status and respect I receive from the students. Other things that have less impact or less meaning can be prioritized accordingly. My grades-Done! Recorded-Done! Filed-hmm maybe not, I can prioritize that based on the rest of the day's requirements.

You are not only the prime role model in class but probably in other areas, too. I set specific times for graded papers, and specific times for phone calls. Office hours are more flexible, but the point here is one of immediate-vs-priority. Everyone, students and staff, must realize there are timelines as well as deadlines, and managing both does not mean you don't care. As a role model, you may choose to guide your students towards a better balance of their time (and your available time) and avoid student burnout due to anxiety / stress.

Indeed. As role models, we must also lead by example.

It's always good to give grades back early enough, however going to the extreme as far as stressing to give them back too soon is not a good thing in the long run.

Abdenour, So true. It's important to set reasonable expectations of ourselves and with others. Sometimes, particularly for complex exams, it is not possible to provide instant feedback. This can be tough for our students to understand as they live in a world where they often receive feedback instantly, but it's important to hold our ground.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment