Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Self imposed stress

I believe many times we impose stress upon ourselves that can be avoided. Sometimes our own high performance expectations can go unmet and when reflected on cause stress. It is important I believe to make sure that we do not expect too much from ourselves in our changing environment and to be realistic about what can be accomplished.

It's good to be reminded of this approach Steve. It's critical to set realistic expectations of ourselves and of others who we rely on. In addition to reducing stress, this approach also enhances our ability to make accurate plans for completing tasks.

Sometimes Self imposed stress happens when we take on more then we can handle. That is why it is very important to manage how much responsibility one takes on at any given time.

Hi David,
Well said. The only problem is that for many of us that is easier said than done. Sometimes we have to step back and decide just how much we can do and stick by our decision or life will get away from us.
Gary

Indeed! Setting realistic expectations of ourselves is perhaps the first step in controlling this kind of stress.

Personality types come into play here in factoring in how much stress we can take or how much we put on ourselves. Have you noticed how some people always seem to be in this high stress mode, while others just go with the flow?

The type A person will seem to be more stressed, because they typically take on more responsibility in their job choice.

Great points Mark! Personality types do indeed play a role in both how much stress we experience as well as how stressed we appear to be in the eyes of others. It’s important to know your personality type, tolerances to stress and limits.

I have found that if I am stressed that it shows in my teaching. I have found that if I start the day meeting all my students at the door and making little jokes about they must smile or be in a great mood to inter my class that all my students start the day on a positive note. In the end they tend to learn more because they are in a good mood right out of the box.

Have there been any studies done on the life expectancy of Type A vs Type B personalities?

Are there benefits to being one type or another?

I honestly believe that I don't fit in either category...I'm somewhere between.

Though, maybe some of my friends and co-workers might disagree. Not sure, I never asked.

That's a great question Larry. I'm not sure about the correlation between life expectancy and being one personality type or another. But there are benefits and drawbacks to both personality types. Hopefully being somewhere in between gives you the best of both.

I try to greet students with a positive attitude when they arrive at the start of class, this seems to get the students (and myself) off to a positive start to the day. This also helps me stay focused and positive throughout the session. Everyone is under a certain amout of stress but mine is somewhat minimal, I don't let school issues bother me, the only thing that tends to get under my skin are the daily commutes.

Sign In to comment