Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

stress & tests

We have an instructor who has a policy of no make-up tests. However, she takes the best 2 out of 3 grades. That way if a student misses an exam, there is no consequence.

I'm glad that you mention this Jean! Scheduling and sitting through make up exams can consume so much time. The 2 out of 3 method (or even the 3 out of 4 method) is a great way to save time and energy that you can use to focus on other things.

Hi Jean,
There are many different ways of approaching how students can keep making progress in a course. The 2 out of 3 option is one of them. Just make sure that with any approach you take it will work in your setting and is consistent with your grading scheme.
Gary

i actually use or allow one make up test for my students, they know this from day one, the ball is now in their court

I agree this method works very well. I curently use it also.

In my class, if they are late or miss the test, it is scored a zero. They have 5 class days to take the make-up test, a different test, with a maximum recorded score of 70, regardless of attaining a higher score, which noticeably impacts their GPA. Since of most of my students need a decent GPA to be successful in job-hunting after our 7-month course, they tend to make every effort to not miss a test.

I use this method also, with an added consequence. The "make-up" is a three page APA documented paper. It is interesting to see how few "make-up" exams are needed these days.

In teaching the adult learner, there are just too many uncontrollable variables to not allow a make-up exam. If you take the best two out of three it still does not allow all students the benefit of taking the exam.

Sign In to comment