Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Underling Topics in Essay Exams

I understand in theory that this is a good method. However, in my own experience I do not think that this is practical because the students might not underline the right words, and I may overlook an answer that is right and incorrectly mark it wrong. This method could end up costing me more time correcting the essays in the long run.

Interesting points Patricia! I think it's important to evaluate each time management method to see if it's right for you. A method that could work well for one person might not work well for another.

I agree. I would have difficulty getting my students to underline the correct things too.

In my opinion, it could be difficult to correct if the facilitator does not make a clear point on the subject to be discussed. For essay tests you must clearly specify what is it that you want them to discuss. As an example, in my counseling and guidance courses I will ask my students to compare two different counseling theories in terms of: view of the human nature, classification and explanation of behavioral issues, and counseling strategies and techniques. I will ask them to write 3-5 paragraphs comparing two theories and underlyning specific terms that describe a theory using different colors. If instructions are clear, shouldn't be any trouble for them to use this technique and it will save me time to correct papers. Nevertheless, this is not a technique to use with all type of subjects. It is better used for analysis.

Sign In to comment