Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Procrastination

Everyone of us procrastinate one time or another, but some of us take it to an extreme. I have seen where students procrastinate to that point of where they think that, whatever it is that they need to do will just take care of itself. What would you say to some of those people? I would tell them that it not a good habit to put off whhat you can today and do it tomorrow, because sometime you can create more problems that way.

Procrastination is another form of laziness. If you don't take care or complete these projects when needed they will only build up and cause more stress and problems down the line. These students need to realize that being productive in life helps you stay ahead in life. And what they put into life is what they are going to get out of life.

Procrastination is not only from students or professors. It is also practiced by administration. If requirements are levied at the very last minute (such as this requirement for doing CEUs which was levied at the very last minute against a ridiculously short deadline), it creates major problems.

This is a great point Laurie! We must carefully watch all sources that can contribute to the problem of procrastination.

Melissa, I find that an organizational culture that thrives on procrastination is very dysfunctional and is very hard for people who like to plan ahead. Laurie

I thought the "To Do list" suggestion was one that will benefit everyone. We can all relate to times when we feel overwhelmed by what we have to accomplish in what seems like a short time. Once we put it all down on paper and prioritize the list, it's not so bad.

How do you swim across the English Channel? One stroke at a time. :)

Really great thoughts Mark. Starting tasks is often the hardest part of completing tasks. Sometimes you just have to find a way to get things in motion.

Procrastination is very important and I feel we need to take a serious look at how it impacts our lives daily. We begin to lose focus on the task at hand; reaching our goals; and becoming successful. Those of us who procrastinate it has been said, we are not ready for success. I want to become more aware of how I may procrastinate and this will be the first step in the healing process and eradicating procrastination.

A prime example of how I relate procrastination to laziness is in how I observe one of my students. She puts off until tomorrow or until l year later becasue she is lazy. This is exemplified in her being slow to respond; her don't care attitude; and I'm going to do it or get to it attitude.

I hear what you are saying and concur that procrastination is a fear of the unknown and I will put off to a later date. Then discover more stress in more life.

I agree there are many sources that contribute to the problem of procrastination. This course is affording me to reflect on those sources.

It is hard to break procrastination once that culture is embedded.

The "To Do List" helps to keep one focused and organized and by doing so this minimizes stress.

Yeah! getting things in motion is the key. This represents progress and eliminates the stress level.

I agree with my students ,when procrastonate they fall short of there goals in school and they ars setting very bad work habits.

I fully agree. I used to be the world worst for procrastinating, I found myself getting farther and farther behind in my tasks. I cant believe how much easier my life became after I just started prioritizing and accomplishing these simple tasks.

i have found that the "to do " list keeps me on task. Checking things of keep me motivated to move ahead.

Indeed. Checking things off on your list can really help you feel like you are on track and making progress. And that's reinforcing.

I'm not sure that I fully agree with procrastination being another form of laziness. Sometimes I find that when the heat is on and the deadline looms I do some of my greatest work. Obviously, a lot more stress is placed upon me... My line of work is in Film and Television (teaching is a part-time affair). The business is stressful and filled with many last minute changes. Procrastination sometimes has its benefits.

That makes sense Larry. Sometimes the stress of deadlines is good and helps us do our greatest work.

Sign In to comment