Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making a To Do List & Procrastination

In making To Do Lists I find myself procrastinating about what I have on my list and then sometimes I lose the list. Has anyone else had this happen to them and what have you done that has helped to overcome this problem to better prepare you for your class?

Good question Mary! I keep my To Do list in my work bag at all times. I carry this bag to and from work and to meetings. Having my list in one consistent place prevents me from losing it. This system also gives me regular access to my list when I want to take down new items.

I often find myself wasting too much time making the list, then not following it at all. I kind of try to adapt to each situation therefore a list usually doesn't work.

That's an interesting point Franklin. Spending too much time perfecting the list can lead to diminishing returns. It's best to strike a good balance between time spent on strategy (the list) and execution (completing tasks). Otherwise, the strategy isn't worth a whole lot.

I find that changes happen so frequently and fast that many 'to do' lists are obsolete by the time several of the objectives were required. I still make 'to do' lists but reviewing them shows many items were not necessary making it somewhat a waste of time.

That’s defiantly a challenge Peter! One solution might be to store your list items on a portable device – like a cell phone. If the device is always with you, it might help you keep up with the list a little more frequently.

I dont have a cell phone, PDA or similar.

I find myself struggling with To Do Lists. If I take the time to write one, within a day it becomes obsolete and needs to be updated. I know this should be done. It is a matter of self discipline, priorities and a large gray area.

Great points Steven! There are some great ways to keep a to-do list up to date. One way is by using a computer to document everything as opposed to pen and paper. Applications like MS Outlook for example have built in functionality that help you manage task lists and quickly update them as needed.

I can relate, Franklin. I always have good intentions when creating a list, but I tend to be a perfectionist and often jot down too many items. It's easy for me to be idealistic when it comes to how much I can accomplish in a given day. A friend told me to write a list and then cut it in half. This has helped me to be more realistic about writing down and accomplishing tasks.

making a list helps to keep everything oon schedule

I always use to lose my list and forget my grocery coupons too! I recently, just in the past few months, purchased a cell phone that has a "notes" section. Since I do not go any place with out my cell phone, I ALWAYS have my to do lists. I am still working on the remembering the coupons thing!

Sign In to comment