Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To Do List & Outlook

I have found that if the productivity software Outlook is used it can be of great benefit for to do lists by using the tasks and calendar.

I use Outlook calender and Yahoo calender on a daily basis to schedule my time and to set up my "to do lists". What I find most advantagous about these programs is using the "reminders" it will notify me before the tasks need to be completed so if I forget I still have time to get them done before they are due.

Great point Kirk and I agree. When you setup Outlook reminders, it's kind of like having a personal secretary.

I agree that the Outlook calender has a great reminder feature. You can also set it so it can have a pop up character to let you know it is time to get started. These features can be set to delete when you complete the task, otherwise it will be a continuous reminder.

Lynnette

Dear Kirk,
I have also found that using Yahoo Calendar has helped me get things accomplished and having an email alert sent to me and my PDA to help me get organized.

I also have to agree that Outlook provides a great platform to make a to-do list by date and time. Also flagging different e-mails to a certain date and time will keep you organize and will serve as a great to- do list and how to prioritize e-mails.

One of the things I try to do each day, because each day brings new challenges

In my opinion it can make a big difference. I used to write a list in order of priority each day of what I needed to accomplish. As the day progressed I would cross things out and add new. Each morning I would then re-write the list and start fresh re-prioritizing as needed. Outlook can do this all electronically and quickly giving reminders as needed, I find it is a great tool in keeping up with those challenges each new day brings and I do not forget important ideas.

Indeed. Using Outlook and other tools like it can greatly assist us in keeping track of our tasks. So many technologies have been created to help keep us organized. The key is to find them and learn how to leverage them.

I have had the same experience with outlook. I keep a weekly sheet with me and take notes on it during meetings. The reminders occasionally keep me from me from missing meetings when I get caught up in somthing on my desk. Kudos to outlook.

The real difficulty for my school has been in allowing us to sync our pda to our pc. Our IT dept had not caught on yet. Revising my "to-do" list by pda had been a real time saver in the past.

Kudos to Outlook indeed. And reminders are just the tip of the iceberg. Outlook can do so much for us. Taking a little time to explore the many other features it has to offer is a great time investment.

At the risk of admitting that I have a little problem with immediacy, I too use MS Outlook. I create different calendars for different areas of my life. For instance, I have one calendar with bill due dates and financial information, and another to keep track of my exercise schedule. I use a primary calendar to keep track of all of my work and personal obligations. I start by filling in any firm grading deadlines as wells the course dates and like. Each week, I create a daily schedule for myself to be sure that I meet all of my deadlines.

I have become an excellent self-manager. My work days are not flexible, I stick to what I schedule myself. I also tend to schedule more time for myself than I generally need for each task, so at the end of each day I can feel accomplished in knowing that I completed a little more than I had expected. In order to keep my calendar and priorities updates and organized at all times, I also sync my Outlook calendar to my Google account, which also syncs to my phone. This is very helpful!

It sounds like you have built a great system for yourself Brandy. I particularly like the way you overestimate each task in terms of the amount of time it will take. This probably gives you a good margin for error and a little extra free time too.

Steve,
I agree that productivity soft ware can be a great help. Have you met any risistance in your teams (other individuals) in using these tools?

I have found that the Outlook calender option is a great tool, also I found that i will use my calender on my phone to call me 12 hours in advance will also help.The cell phone lets me konw about an appointment and the Outlook option confirms it for me.

I have had the same experience with outlook. I keep a weekly sheet with me and take notes on it during meetings. The reminders occasionally keep me from me from missing meetings when I get caught up in somthing on my desk. Kudos to outlook.

Sign In to comment