Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Set guidelines immediately

I am big on setting guidelines on the first day of class, whether it be regarding academic or behavioral. It feel it sets the tone for the seriousness of the course and how I expect my students to act. Specifically I go over the class sylubus and the school's student expectation guidelines. I'm sure it get tiring for repeat students but at least I know they are aware of school standards.

Hi Selena,
Knowing the expectations of the course is a necessary requirement for all students. By doing it as you are it is out of the way and the students can then focus on moving forward with the course content. Have you thought about other ways you can present this information so it doesn't become boring to your repeat students?
Gary

Selena,

As mentioned in the Module, first impressions are what people remember whether it be an academic setting or social.

If an instructor, from the beginning, is prepared and sets the tone for the class, the students are taught by example (the best kind of teaching there is). This preparedness is evidenced by having a course syllabus/outline and lesson plan completed for the first day.

Organizational skills are critical; they are something that students will appreciate and come to expect.

Dr. Meers,

One of the ways that I have presented the same information to repeating students (classroom policies, school policies regarding attendance, tutoring and so on is to open the discussion with the students.

It is challenging, almost in a juvenile way, to see who can remember the various items. Students are quick to add, "You are correct, but don't forget..."

It is a fun way to take away some of the boredom. It also serves as reinforcement that guidelines set out at the beginning of the program remain in effect until completion.

Consistency plays a major role in their accepting the guidelines as well.

Hi Barbara,
I like your approach. You have covered what must be covered but have done it in a way that keeps the students engaged and interested. Well done.
Gary

I also set the guidelines and expectations immediately. Then there are no misunderstandings later on.

Hi Selena,
I used to write on the board before starting the class the objectives of the course for the particular day and then I follow point by point the plan.
Viorel

I do the same, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt; if it doesnt it is usually with a student that will go against guidelines no matter what.

I feel that it is important to let the students know what you expect of them and what they will be be expecting of you. I set the guidlines of professionalism out. Then we can spend time getting to know one another

Hi Denise,
Good strategy. This way the students have the expectations in mind as they get settled into the operations of the class.
Gary

I agree that being up front with course content, guidelines, expectations and performance standards is vital setting the table for learning. This preparation should be as complete as possible in order to not appear to change the game plan by adding on later details or caveats on a random basis

Setting guidelines at the start is best and sets up the classroom for clear communication.

Hi Jennifer,
How do you share the requirements and guidelines of your course with your students?
Gary

Guidelines, I believe set the tone for a good learning environment right from the start.

Hi Kimerly,
You are right about this. What are some of the strategies you use when you are setting your guidelines to make sure your students are clear on the class requirements?
Gary

Our sturcture is to spend about one hour or so going over guidelines, tests, policies, safety grading procedures lab procedures and such. We also hand out the course sylubus and course books. This provides us with a good starting point to help tie in why this course is important in their program.

Hi Richard,
Sounds like a good approach to getting the class started. What to you do in the way of introductions to help the students to know each other better?
Gary

The instructor usually takes a few minutes to give his background and then we ask each student to take a moment to share background and interests.
The instructor will usually share more background experience as method of relating some of the info to a real field experience.

Richard Ullery

Hi Richard,
You make a good point. Not only do the students get to know each other, they get to know that their instructor has extensive background experiences to help them learn in the course to come.
Gary

I agree it is very important on the first day to set guidelines as to what is to be expected in the class.

Sign In to comment