Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Power Point Presentations

I find Power Point presentations to helpful at certain times, but can can become routine if used to often. They work best when a specific topic requires graphics and special features.

Field Trips

I have noticed that students get excited about going on a field trip because they get to see the relevence of whta they are doing in class.

practical work

My students have alot of practical work. I noticed that there are some who just can't get motivated for it. I learned by talking to the student one on one is the best remedy to explain that is won't go away. They need the credits to graduate. Sometimes just talking to the student is enough.

back up plan

some of my students are farther along than others. This is ok. I am lucky enough to have another instructor so we can split up.

training

My students acquire new information and skills on a daily basis. I encourage questions from all of them and let them know there is no dumb question. I have turned to fellow workers for help with some of them. It's get to get another opinion. I love to have more than one solution!

feild trips

We take a feild trip with the students about 2mths before they are ready to go out on their own. This seems to help them get excited to get done and futher on with their career. They seem to take on a good attitude and I feel it helps them to work harder and stay focused the last few mths of school.

Lab Grading

I started having students turn in their labs during lab as soon as they finish them. This way, if there are blank lines they can either fill them in, or they know they lose credit. I bring a small file box with me, and as they turn them in, I evaluate them and check off their name on a grade sheet. This way the labs get graded instantly and seems to keep the students more accountable for their lab time.

Grades by percentages/catagories

Our school (culinary) has adopted a four catagory system that weights each catagory by a percent value. Sounds confusing, but actually it's fairly simple and our students really like it. We base it on competencies, professionalism, quizes and attendance each is weighted by a percentage. We also have cut and dry policies on make-ups, late project work, attendance and tardiness. We do have the option to offer "extra credit" on quizes or "open note books", but it must be available for all students. For me and the way our program is structured...allowing individual instructors to use their own grading system… >>>

the Seven "P's"

In my teaching enviroment (Culinary) if we do not plan for many contingencies, things can and will go wrong, as they so often do in the "real world" I follow the seven P's and teach it to my students... 1.)Proper, 2.)Prior, 3.)Planning, 4.)Prevents, 5.)Pitifully, 6.)Poor, 7.)Performance pre-planning for many un-forseen, possible outcomes makes the class run smoothly

Power Point Overload

I have fellow instructors that live, breathe and fail by power point presentations. Every class - everyday, regardless of the fact that more and more students lose interest everyday in the subject matter of the class. Many times when I get the same students for their next set of classes they are exstatic with the simplicity of the white, dry-erase board, or a simple game, or a trip to the resource center, or a quick movie, or a brainstorming event...... I think that my "point" has been made... Power Points are nice, don't get me wrong... They need to intergrated… >>>

Point Values

My method is to value the major timeposts during a course: exams [I give three all equally valued], one assignment which is written, teacher evaluation which is composed of attendance, proper equipment for the course and class participation. Lateness of the written asignment of one week drops their grade by 50%, late by two weeks is not accepted at all.

Real World Example

Several students are currently working in the fields I am teaching which also include my experience. We often discuss what is going on in their company and competing companies from their job level and then from the perspective of the business community, for example a recent quarterly report of their publicly owned company.

Product Comparison

Since I teach marketing and merchandising I frequently bring merchandise into the class to distinguish, for example the differenc between a product feature and a product benefit to the purchaser.

Prep the class in three steps

The steps are 1. Tell them what you are going to cover, 2. Cover the material and 3. Tell them what you have covered. Here leaving room for clarification and/or emphasis.

Grading Test

If you keep your students grades up to date and make up the test within a day or two they can recall the information alot better than a week late, Also this let the other students in the classrom know that you are a good record keeper and you will not let them fall behind in there grades

Plan B

On any givin day you may need to use your plan B, The student can ask a question that might need your plan B in play. Or the class is more advance in than the last class and need for you to use a plan B.

Power Points

I have found when using my power point for my classroom the students get the point you are trying to get them to understand. You can draw allday on the white board, But show a power point and watch the bulbs come on.

Back up plans

I think a back up plan Is very Important and goes hand and hand with being Perpared for class each day. After all i believe part of being prepared is expect/account for the unexpected, for example to Prepare to be on time each day Many people always leave a half hour or more early to account for unexpected traffic.

Preperation makes, for a better day

Being perpare for class each day makes the class flow so much smoother for both you and the students, it prevents you from having to rush around and get things done just to get through the class day.

Hands on learning

I find that hands on or tactile learning works the best for most students. Using a blended learning environment we introduce a new subject during a lecture then learn while Appling that knowledge hands on and review with a PowerPoint presentation.