Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Make up tests

For a few people, taking a test can be a traumatic experiance. Some people don't take tests well but are very good with tactile tests.At our institute, we have tests that are already made up. We as instructors don't change them. I will however, proctor make-up tests at the convience of the student. Now there has to be some specific time frame agreed on and adhered to. If left go long enough, the student will loose the info and usually will do poorly on the test.

Hi David:
Your willingness to help the student demonstrate their learning through alternate or practice tests is a really good idea. Unless a student knows where they stand in the class, they'll not be too motivated to want to improve.

Regards, Barry

When making up tests I try to work with the students to come to a satisfactory make-up time that works for them and also myself.

Hi George:
Many schools will have policies or practices regarding this activity. One caveat to consider is that the nake up test is fair, both to the make-up student and his/her classmates. Sometimes, a penalty of a certain percent may be deducted for taking the test after the regular date. Still, others will elect to prepare an entirely different exam. It is also sometimes a challenge to ensure the make-up test is not easiser or harder than the original.

Regards, Barry

I do not agree with make exceptions for missed test. The student should be held accountable for material. Catering to students schedule opens the door for future problems with management and control of students.

Hi Rejandra:
I don't think anyone would disagree that students should be held accountable for tests. In some institutions, the instructor must comply with the will of their senior decision makers and have to find flexible methods regarding testing.

I would just add that the purpose of any test, regardless of the method, reason, or circumstance, is to measure learning. Accountability is one thing, learning outcome is another.

Regards, Barry

I agree with this. By giving make-up tests sometimes students look at this as a way of having more study time. It's unfair to the rest of the students who have worked hard up to that point.

Hi Joseph:
Some policies regareding make up tests may be dictated by college policy or administration. If the instructor has control over make up tests, classroom policy can be determined at the beginning of the course. At that time - a "no make up tests are allowed" statement can be communicated.

Regards, Barry

I agree totally a time frame is very important or they forget too much of the material so an agreed apon time is best, they should know this from the first day of class

Hi Steve:
Yes, very exact and distinct guidelines are an important aspect of providing quality control with testing.

Regards, Barry

I always tell my students to come talk to me as soon as they know they are going to miss an exam. they can send email, phone or otherwise so there really is no excuse...most wait until the next class and expect to be given the exam!!! Even though I cover this at the beginning of the course and in the syllabus, they believe that they can miss an exam and it's "no big deal". I am always shocked by this attitude, and I do not allow make-ups without documentation to excuse their absence. This helps cut-down on cheating and makes them accountable for their responsibility. Since instituting this policy, I have seen the number of students who miss my exams drop dramatically. I guess word travels...

Hi Nicole:
Good illustrations. Holding students accountable ends up helping them on several levels. It doesn't take too much information circulated among students about consequences for failing to do something to get around and, as the result, provides for better compliance - as you've experienced.

Regards, Barry

I agree tests just show me if student learned material. a better judge of a student is hands on work.

Hi Frank:
You're right. Tests should evaluate knowledge. Hands on tests are just another way of evaluating kinesthetic knowledge. So, good tests will accurately measure the competence the student is expected to know.

Regards, Barry

I agree that giving a different version of a test to students who might have missed an exam keeps everyone honest.

Hi Peter:
It's good to do something like you've described to make sure the students is being accurately assessed, and the assessment tool is fair.

Regards, Barry

I think make up tests should be given the next day the student is there. It should also be the same test everyone else took, how could you guage one students learning by a different test than the rest.

Hi John:
Yes, using the same test assures that all students are being measured similarly. One could argue that the extra time given gives a slight advantage, but I don't know. Many instructors will automatically deduct a certain percentage or limit the maximum make-up grade to compensate. Ultimately, although grades are important, it comes down to the learning the student has received, and have they acheived the minimal acceptable amount of knowledge needed for the class, vocation, or profession.

Regards, Barry

i kinda look at things like this you know the info or your in bad shape the problem with this stuff is we (baby people to much today what happen to the old days)

Hi Bryan:
I think good students will try to do their best and strive to improve. Others are not willing to do the work that earns them the grade or the information, even though they say "I'm trying". Still, others seem like they don't care. Kind of makes you wonder why that last group even comes to class some days.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment