Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Only with written permission form a student can an instructor post student images or work on his or her social media.

I wasn't aware of the following:  Solomon Act, Gramm-Leach- Bailey and others- so learned something new!

I did not realize that you had to even protect student ppt.  I knew that you could not put it on U-tube or social media, but if you wanted to use it as a example project you could not.

I found today to be very informative on the protection of student information.  And the different entities that are designed to have procedures in place to protect personal information.

HIPAA and FERPA are similar in their components. I appreciate and understand why FERPA allows Discussion assignments but anything that is published and is available to the public is prohibited.

Any online use of a student's interaction while enrolled in educational programs should be only disclosed with their approval. Even accolades could be subject to FERPA related challenges. 

Comment on Kathleen Watts's post: Yes, that was an interesting point to me as well.  I hadn't really noticed that GPA had been omitted in graduation bulletins, but now I understand why it's done that way.

Comment on Judy Whitehill's post: Comment on Judy Whitehill's post: I agree students must be identified.

It is interesting all the federal regulations that trump FERPA when it comes to disclosing information about students.  

A representative from the Department of Homeland Security requests an international student’s schedule. How should this be handled?

Verify the individual’s identity and authority, release the information as appropriate, and document accordingly. 

My takehome message from this wntire module is, that all staff members have a duty to secure the information of kids. If overheard, talking negatively about a student in the hallway may be a FERPA violation. 

Students are NOT excused from any assignments or activities online for discussion boards and etc. Even though certain information is protected, participation in any academic activities are still required for all students and may NOT be anonymous.

Confidentiality is always critical when working with students and in consideration to FERPA.

With the changes coming with new technology, the best thing we can do is be mindful our own policies for how we provide information. That being said, there are certain information that must be readily available for certain parties. We should usually be screening who requests it

I learnt that students records records under 3rd party vendors are also subject to FERPA

HIPAA and the soloman act were interesting to learn about. This information can be used to assist with the knowledge and steps that need to be taken if information about students should be released. 

Something I learned which was new information and helpful to know was, if instructors want to post their lecture's on youtube for example there needs to be written permission from students. 

In this module I learnt about the challenges to consider when applying FERPA.

I have been struggling with how to maintain privacy of student information with fear of other students recording lecture, despite my request and standard of no recording for student privacy.  I will now cite this as support to heighten awareness

The relationship between HIPPA and FERPA have to be distinguished and adhered to. The different "ACTS" were something I did not know about and are important for the consideration of FERPA.

Sign In to comment